Saturday's finds

CamilleR

My baskets and dehydrator have really been getting a workout this year! I now have a quart of black trumpet powder. Then I had another chicken at a location where I picked one three months ago. Been a great year here, just waiting on the hens.

WP_20180915_008.jpg

WP_20180915_006.jpg

On 9/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, CamilleR said:

We have 40 acres of oak woods and trumpets the majority of what we get. Wish I could sell them.

Is there not a market for black trumpets? I read they are wonderful tasting mushrooms.

In Georgia there's definitely a market for them especially in Atlanta where the majority of the upscale restaurants are.  I'm totally envious of you're haul though, i've only found them twice and it's never been more than a couple dozen or so, but i love the depth of flavor they have from such a thin little mushroom.  Do they like specific species of oaks or a specific type of ground cover in particular?  

I used to pay $30/lb for trumpets at retail. We have a large mushroom farm within 10 miles that not only grows the “normal” commercial varieties but trades in exotics. I don’t know how much they pay for “trade-ins” but if there’s anything like that near you it’s worth a shot.