Florida Mushrooms...FINALLY!

ladyflyfsh

We have had yet another oddball mushroom season or for the most part, lack of mushroom season this summer. It may be hurricane season by the calendar, but it has not proven to be much of a rainy season in the Southeast. We have had rain off and on all summer, but the mushrooms have been scarce, until just the last week or so.

First i found a bunch of Lactarius hygrophoroides at the post office, so I figured if they are up there, they should also be on the front lawn of the church nearby where I often find them and sure enough, they were there.

post-1-0-31535500-1410787887_thumb.jpg post-1-0-03808200-1410788021_thumb.jpg

I also found some assorted little boletes at both the post office and the church:

post-1-0-89251100-1410788067_thumb.jpg post-1-0-58106800-1410788084_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-95172800-1410788099_thumb.jpg post-1-0-09489100-1410788153_thumb.jpg (Bitter...Tylopilus sp.)

post-1-0-97173300-1410788183_thumb.jpg post-1-0-84444400-1410788197_thumb.jpg (gilled boletes are all over right now)

post-1-0-30758000-1410788243_thumb.jpg

Some other Lactarius that did not stain and had white latex

post-1-0-00417100-1410788300_thumb.jpg post-1-0-35128300-1410788310_thumb.jpg

Then I stopped at another local park on my way home and found some Amanitas and other things:

post-1-0-38279100-1410788354_thumb.jpg post-1-0-68820900-1410788386_thumb.jpg

Will add more to next post......

Turick, that chicken blew my mind when I saw it. It was like an already framed photograph! I took a ton of photos of it and they would have been better if the sun hadn't been shining on it, but it was up high and I had no way of shading it. It was a pretty chicken for sure! John, we have some crazy boletes down here. I hope to find lots more soon.

Hi lady fish I'm in Savannah and am VERY DEFINITELY interested in your posts! I just joined. I have a question regarding red & yellow boletes that stain blue...I thought I read that they're poisonous & are called "devil's boletes". I would love to be proved wrong as I find them all the time. In fact just found a few next to a mailbox yesterday & didn't even bother photographing it. Btw, although I'm a novice, your brown & white/cream bolete looks like a King bolete. If so, congrats!

Hi Savbird, no Boletus edulis as far south as where I live. Those are Tylopilus and are bitter. I would like to see photos of your red and yellow boletes. They might be Boletus bicolor and could be edible. Post some pics here for us and take them in situ so we can see them in their environment.

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a photo gallery, ladyflyfish. I don't know the southern NA boletes. From the second batch, I like the one with mahogany-colored cap and suade-like texture, pale stalk and pale yellow pores... just after a grayish Tylopilus. Do you know which one I mean? Reminds me of Xanthoconium purpureum which I see up here in PA.

A bit higher up the thread, first batch, that Lactarius looks like L. yazooensis. The Amanita reminds me of A. citrina.

Gosh, thank you, Scott! Dave, I don't know the identity of that cute little velvety bolete. I will have to go back and look on my facebook page to see if I ever got an ID suggestion on that one. I've never even heard of L. yazooensis. Just looked up that bolete on my fb and no guesses. Even Bill Yule didn't know, so there you have it. Another of those Florida mystery boletes.