Look what I just got in the mail.

Dave, did you notice that Mary aka ladyflyfsh contributed some of the photos? So far this book looks to be a thorough and very professional reference for Boletes. It's actually a little overwhelming seeing all the species of Boletes that are described in this book. Some near the back that have not even received official names yet. I can't wait until Boletes start popping up!

I might add this book to my shelf aswell after I see what you guys think of it. Boletes are still on my get know list as far as consumption gos.  I have many verietys in my spots so it's one I look forward to learning better.

Looks like a nice book. Plenty of eastern NA species. I haven't yet given it a close look. 

The reasons for most of the recent --and ongoing-- changes in nomenclature are rooted in DNA analysis. First, molecular analysis often shows that American species with inherited European names cannot be considered the same species. So a new species name is then needed. In some cases there exists an old depreciated species name (former synonym) and the rules indicate this name must be used. Or a new name is published. Other molecular analysis often shows that species housed within a given genus are too dissimilar to be considered as such. So, split-off genera are created. Out of Boletus has come Aureoboletus, Butyriboletus, Cyanoboletus, Caloboletus, Neoboletus... There have also been split-offs from Tylopilus, like Sutorius and Harrya. In some cases genera are merged, like Fuscoboletus was recently collapsed into Suillus.

It's all about how the various genera/species fit together in a phylogenetic (evolutionary) tree. It's my understanding that the only species left in genus Boletus will eventually be the "Kings", varieties of edulis, variipes, separans, pinophilus, maybe subcaerulescens, and a few others.