New from Central Ohio

RottDad

Hi- I am new from central Ohio. I am just north of Columbus. Mostly new to mushroom hunting. Went for Morels when I was a kid and now trying to get back to it. Interested in learning about other edible mushrooms and the like. I mostly look in the area around Alum Creek, but haven't been having any luck finding much of anything.

Yep. Around the lake it seems to be mostly exclusively elm trees. I especially search around the dead ones. Ironically, a member of my family called yesterday and said they found quite a large one under a pine tree.

I wonder if there are other species of mushrooms that could be used as indicators for proximity and conditions favorable to morels. I found a bunch of other mushrooms today behind my work building. Posting pictures of them in the other thread I started "ID?".

Thanks for the welcome.

Here in PA people find the occasional yellow morel under White Pine. As for indicator species, I look for Urnula craterium when I'm trying to predict when the first Black Morels will appear. These "Devil's Urns" usually appear about one week before the Black Morels. Also, the urns seem to occur in areas where I get morels. Of course, this may seem to be the case because I spend a lot of time walking around in areas that get morels.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, RottDad. I can't believe I missed a post on the new member page. Welcome. I live in S Central PA. We probably have similar mushroom seasons, although I usually see morel posts there before here. You should have no problem with edible mushrooms in OH as long as you know where they grow. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I am from W/C Ohio, near Dayton Rottdad, welcome best of luck in your ventures.