big white mushroom

Bob80

It looks like hericium coralloides, or a similar hericium species.  Beautiful mushroom!

Dont think hericium have any bad lookalikes, and with the size of that specimen you can be pretty sure that's what it is.  I would just start with a small amount to make sure your body specifically doesn't have a problem with them.  But they taste great!  

I believe they are high in fiber.

I love to dip these in a thin tempura batter, then fry crisp!!  Another option is to dip the washed and wet mushroom into flour, then fry.  Similar outcome.  

Actually, I think the common name applied to this Hericium corraloides is "Comb Tooth". "Bear's Head" --if I understand the correct usage-- is Hericium americanum. H. americanum has larger clumps that are more tightly packed together. 

• 5 weeks later...