Now I'm Starving for a Hen

While mowing the lawn this hen of the woods caught my eye. Anyone know when it's best to eat them? I just put some water on an around it to keep it in good shape... It's growing beneath a black oak tree just waiting for me to eat it. The large white object is a milk jug to give you an idea of how big the mushroom is.

A friend of mine gave me some wine caps that were amazing! My mother-in-law loved to cook them, I'm going to see if I can talk her into cooking this little hen.

post-300-0-88054500-1346020192_thumb.jpg

post-300-0-69361300-1346020198_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I was so excited when I saw that... I just kept thinking... "don't hit it with the mower... do NOT hit it with the mower!"

I watered it again today and now, with your input, will be taking it inside, tomorrow. This will be my first hen! If anyone has some suggestions, let them fly for cooking, cleaning, whatever. I'm going to start doing some reading on it now but it always helps to have some experienced input.

Also, I've been looking for boletes lately and am giving up too. The only other time I knowingly found boletes was for my first hunt. I kept finding them all over. I just thought a mushroom that looked like that couldn't be edible. So I passed them by. I'm pretty sure the ones I found were edible. Now I check on my smart phone to see if it's worth brining a mushroom home for a spore print... I really need a field guide book. :-)

I talked my mother-in-law into cooking it up. When she was done she handed the whole bowl to me and said she just wanted a few bites. We both loved it. She put salt, pepper, and a few other spices I forget the name of. Not entirely common spices and not many of them. So I could actually taste the mushroom. It was so good. Probably one of my favorites now. I'm keeping my eyes pealed when I pass by oaks.

I shared some with a friend who loves mushrooms and shares his finds. Looking forward to some more fall mushrooms in the pan.

I've had extraordinary beginner's luck with Chicken of the Woods since late August. I really want to find a hen now. I've been researching them extensively and I'm pretty sure that I can make a positive ID if I find one. Glad you got to enjoy yours.

'rum