Morel Season Over?

Anyone still finding Morels around or in Pennsylvania. I know they found some in Conestoga on the 21st of March so figure I might of missed this years season already.

I’m in the poconos.. it hasn't started yet here. You’re only a couple hours south. Things are just getting going where you are. Will likely get going after the warm temps the next week along with the rain. 

April 24th is the earliest I have ever found a morel 

I guess someone finding some early in Conestoga on March 21st threw me off. I just talked to a guy that said it's just kicking off as well. Thanks for the info. I am excited now!

A friend in our club got about 15 in Huntington County the other day.  The eastern pa club found about 14 last week, but they were all immature.  I haven’t had the chance to get out yet.

On March 31 four morels showed up on my property here in NE PA. I think these are the result of a morel grow kit I planted here ~20 years ago. These started showing up in 2020 in the spot where I planted the material from the kit. I had specimens sequenced (twice, one sample by FunDiS and another sample by Steve Russell). These are not a species typically found around here. I have a local forested spot where I usually find a few Morchella angusticeps (the native Black Morel). We have found only one so far this year. I *think* the warm days during early March brought this species to the cusp of fruiting, and then a return to cold weather shut them down. This coming week the weather is forecast to be sunny with highs in the 70Fs. Coming off of all the wet weather we've been having, I think this will set us up for the M. diminutiva and M. americana by next weekend.

The photos show the morels on my property. DNA and microscopic traits suggest they are M. norvegiensis, a relatively newly described species. This is a species of Black Morel. The fruit bodies seem to take a long time to mature. The phots show: specimen A on 3/31, specimen A on 4/13, specimen B on 3/31, specimen B on 4/13, and another of these that I harvested because it got knocked over, probably by a deer. The view shows the "sinus" (ie, recessed region between the overhanging cap and the apex of the stipe). This is a trait associated with Morchella sect. Distantes, ie. the Black Morels. 

Morchella sect. Distantes A 239 3-31 2.JPG

Morchella sect. Distantes A 239 4-13.JPG

Morchella sect. Distantes B 239 3-31 2.JPG

Morchella sect. Distantes B 239 4-13.JPG

Morchella sect. Distantes D 239 4-11 3.JPG