GF ate wild mushroom on Norfolk Island, Australia - help identifying

BHC

Hello, unfortunately a co-worker told my GF that mushrooms on the island are edible so she picked one and at a very small bit and experienced gastrointestinal distress. Any help identifying it would be very appreciated. 

1621026338176.jpg

1621026338181.jpg

It looks very beat up and needs a spore print to be a conclusive ID, but this could be Chlorophyllum molybdites, the poisonous Green-Spored Parasol mushroom.

13 hours ago, troutddicted said:

Unbelievable, you have no idea how bad this could of ended.  If she is continuing to have problems seek medical attention immediately... don’t use crystals and their energies to help heal, find an actual doctor... 

No need to be mean.  The poor guy’s gf trusted someone and got burned. He came here trying to help her.  

On 5/14/2021 at 3:29 PM, BHC said:

Hello, unfortunately a co-worker told my GF that mushrooms on the island are edible so she picked one and at a very small bit and experienced gastrointestinal distress. Any help identifying it would be very appreciated. 

1621026338176.jpg

1621026338181.jpg

You should update us and let everyone know if she's okay! 

There are very few Australian species of mushroom that match the ones we see here in North America. This mushroom reminds me of genus Lepiota. There are some dangerously poisonous species of Lepiota. I don't know if this is one of them. But, if you have saved some of the mushroom, then you should seek out advice from someone local --a mycologist or a poison control center. Hope I'm not over-reacting here. Best to err on the side of safety. 

I don't think this is Chlorophyllum molybdites. That species has gills that turn green. 

On 5/15/2021 at 8:03 AM, troutddicted said:

Unbelievable, you have no idea how bad this could of ended.  If she is continuing to have problems seek medical attention immediately... don’t use crystals and their energies to help heal, find an actual doctor... 

Funny that you say this, the person who told this to her is a registered nurse. Some people just have no sense at all. 

Anyway here are some other mushrooms from the same area. She only had a small bite of the first one and then forced herself to throw up. She was sick that night but otherwise seems to be ok. 

1621052770846.jpg

1621052943218.jpg

On 5/17/2021 at 8:45 AM, Dave W said:

There are very few Australian species of mushroom that match the ones we see here in North America. This mushroom reminds me of genus Lepiota. There are some dangerously poisonous species of Lepiota. I don't know if this is one of them. But, if you have saved some of the mushroom, then you should seek out advice from someone local --a mycologist or a poison control center. Hope I'm not over-reacting here. Best to err on the side of safety. 

I don't think this is Chlorophyllum molybdites. That species has gills that turn green. 

Perhaps the colors in my monitor are rendering differently. The gills look greenish on my screen in both the original picture and the fresh specimen picture. Anyway you are giving the correct advice. I should have definitely tempered my response with the caution that it deserves. you're a wise man Dave.

I agree, possibly a monitor issue. The original photo shows what looks like white gills on the office computer. But, these latest photos show what appears to be a greenish tinge developing on the the gills. Otherwise, these newer/younger mushrooms do look like Chlorophyllum molybdites. This species is known to cause illness if consumed, but is not life threatening. Still, we are not absolutely convinced about the possibility of there being more than one species growing in the same vicinity. 

BHC, throwing up was likely a good thing for her to do. Even if the mushroom was a toxic Lepiota, a small piece ingested and thrown up soon thereafter may be tolerable. But, I am not qualified to provide medical advice. If you have a sample of the original material, then there are some types of toxins that may be detected chemically. You would need to get some qualified help with this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 3:18 PM, BHC said:

Funny that you say this, the person who told this to her is a registered nurse. Some people just have no sense at all. 

Anyway here are some other mushrooms from the same area. She only had a small bite of the first one and then forced herself to throw up. She was sick that night but otherwise seems to be ok. 

1621052770846.jpg

1621052943218.jpg

Had she picked up the wrong kind of amanita, another white good looking mushroom, and ate it she would likely be going for a liver transplant right now. Mushrooms can be very dangerous in the wild. Please let your gf know to never, ever consume anything in the wild that she can't identify to species with 100% certainty. This goes for mushrooms, plants, nuts, berries....they can all end up with a trip to the emergency room as a best case scenario.

However, that does not mean if she is interested she should be scared to eat the bounties of the wild. With thorough research and proper identification practices the wild can provide a bounty of incredibly delicious treats. Just gotta learn the craft first though.