Dear forager: a silent auction to help support this site has already begun! Learn More.

Each year this community relies on donations to pay the expenses for keeping the site online and ad free. Please consider bidding on the auction or making a donation if you can. Any amount helps. Donate now.

Kingfish58

Greetings from South Louisiana

Hello all. I became obsessed with foraging for wild mushrooms when I stumbled upon some wild chanterelles while hiking in Mississippi about 4 years ago. After researching and making certain of the ID, I've since learned how abundant they are and have developed several spots that provide me with an abundant supply during the season. Problem is, they are the only wild mushroom I am 100% comfortable with the ID and consuming. Hoping to learn more here to expand my knowledge!

Lot's of rain down here last summer-some of these were as big as my hand.

IMG_2043.JPG

Welcome aboard!! Very nice to see some other folks here from Louisiana. I joined few years back with similar situation. Since then, with the help of these folks,I’ve IDed many more species with enough confidence and knowledge  to harvest for the table. Nothing like wild game and wild mushrooms in the swamp. South Louisiana has lots to offer, enjoy!! Just a couple of my finds last year.

E73DD422-3035-4618-A6C6-FFA46583F981.jpeg

70B63C08-EA28-459A-B855-C322877AD556.jpeg

F97D4A1F-69C3-43EF-A38E-39DC3B795652.jpeg

Thanks for the welcome CS35, and for the pictures.

What's that 1st picture of? Also, that last picture are oysters, right? I've seen then in the wild, but again, just a little unsure to pick and eat. They are also very buggy when I've come across them. Looking at the snow, let me guess, is that December 8th 2017? 

1 is lactarius indigo, and yes 3 are oysters   That’s from last arctic blast we had in January. They shut everything down at work so I took tonthe woods. Lol. 

Which part of the south you’re in ?

I'm in Baton Rouge. Two snows down here in one year, very unusual. Thanks for the info on the mushrooms, I'll be looking for them.

Can you tell me if south Louisiana has morels? I can find no info on this.

Your guess is as good as mine. Very little info about this subject. I’ve heard that they may exist in Tunica Hills but not sure how true that is. I’ve hunted Sicily Island a bit and came up empty handed. Maybe one of these years I’ll locate some 🤷🏼‍♂️

NOLA/Northshore area here...  lots of chantys around Pearl River reserve area during the warmer months.  Anyone know when/where to look for oysters?

Welcome jitney, with south Louisiana's varying seasons, we basically get oysters throughout the year. Different species but decent edibles in my opinion. Most of my oysters were found in association with oak trees.