Umbrella polypores

Thanks.

They were growing under white oaks.  I've put added a picture one of them before I picked it.  My property has a lot of white oaks so I don't know what is special about that spot.  Last spring we saw them there but did not know what they were or that they were edible.  We were looking for boletes.  By fall we realized what they were when they re-fruited.  We ate one and it was one of the best mushrooms we had tried.  I was at my property yesterday to try to find more morels (failure!), but I stumbled into the umbrella polypores.  There were actually four, but I left the smallest one.  

I've never found a hen, but I plan to keep looking.

upolypore2.jpg

I've found Polyporus umbellatus 2 or 3 times in my life (last time maybe 20 years ago), early in the season (June up here in NE PA). Not the same type of oak habitat where I find Hen (Grifola frondosa). My Umbrella Polypore finds have been in beech woods.