Had an interesting experience today

I hunt hedgehogs in a State Game Land that Is bisected by a major road that can’t be walked across. In the past I have found hedgehogs on both sides. Each side is heavy in hemlock trees.   Haven’t been on the one side in about two years. I drove back there today.  As I was about to enter the state game land, I see a sign that says it is a private road (it borders the edge of the state game land).  The sign says there is no access to the state game land and directs you to enter two other ways.  One way enters the side across the highway. The other takes you to an entry that is also marked as a private road with no access to the state game land.   So, technically, there is now no access to this section.  I plan to get a state game commission rep up here to show this to them.  I think someone is lying trying to keep a hunting area solely to them.  

I ran into the guy that has the land on one border of the state game land (perpendicular to the road). He’s not the one who put up the sign. We started talking after I explained that I didn’t intend to hunt there, I was just looking for mushrooms.  We talked mushrooms for a while, but he wasn’t familiar with them beyond a chicken of the woods he had found.   

I started telling him about hedgehogs, especially Hydnum umbilicatum, as that’s what I find most often.   He was curious.   So I asked if he’d walk down to a couple of hemlocks nearby so I might be able to show one to him.  Between us, he got a double handful of them in about 15 minutes.  When we got back to my truck I gave him a lunch bag to carry them in, and told him how to clean and cook them (he and his wife both like mushrooms).

I now have his permission to park on his property and access the state game land across it.

Great job Kevin! Yea, the state cannot have land locked property. Seems fishy to me. Hey, you found a new friend! 
😁👍

And I’m definitely coming to hang out with you and your mushroom magic!

These were from 45 minutes of hunting the side I can access this morning.  Must be all the rain, these are a lot bigger than I normally pick there.  I ran out of time and left some there.  Will go back tomorrow morning to get those.  I found several crushed on paths the bow hunters use.  All Hydnum umbilicatum.

You’re welcome anytime.

FA3B3EF9-8F92-4DC9-95B4-AB48A1055E9F.thumb.jpeg.8099689a67d122b7ba4e80abd510cc7f.jpeg

I called the regional game commission center yesterday and explained the situation.  They transferred me to the local land manager.  Got his voicemail, so I left my name and number and explained the situation.

He called me back today and we had a very pleasant conversation.  The northern most access is no problem and allows access to the section north of the main road.  

The access I had problems at, let’s call it the middle access.   He said that Harrisburg is looking at it, and their initial take is that they don’t have any rights at that access.

As for the southern most access, I tried to access that several years ago, but the sign always stated that there was no game land access from that road, as it was private.   He says that is indeed one that is under their control, and he was working to remove the sign.   He also said the game commission planned to expand the parking area there.

I did explain to him that I now had access at the thanks to an adjacent landowner, and that I use the state game land for mushroom hunting.   That didn’t phase him, in fact, he asked me what type I hunted.   When I told him primarily hedgehogs (Hydnum umbilicatum) this time of year.   He was surprised, and had never heard of hedgehogs before, and didn’t think he ever heard anyone even mention them. I told him a little bit about them.  He did ask if they were mychorizal, and if so, with what.  I told him yes, and that the ones I find are mychorizal with hemlock trees.

Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only one who hunts them!   Got 45 today in the rain.40F455DE-4E60-4273-B542-BC3FD099AF8B.thumb.jpeg.1d4b8db4dd901754f0e9fa747863de2a.jpeg