Still finding some mushrooms

Been MIA for awhile. Still hiking and still finding mushrooms though. Need help ID'ing some of these. Happy New Year Everyone!

post-591-0-46539500-1388858114_thumb.jpg

Carbon Balls?

post-591-0-50930000-1388858147_thumb.jpgpost-591-0-35709600-1388858165_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-33815000-1388858392_thumb.jpg

Crepidotus?

post-591-0-96434700-1388858182_thumb.jpg

Unknown

post-591-0-41390400-1388858221_thumb.jpg

Blewit

post-591-0-77227800-1388858296_thumb.jpg

Jelly Fungus

I am jealous JD! Today was the first of another four day stint of below zero weather and you are still collecting mushrooms. Our high tomorrow is suppose to be -23 degrees and the low will probably be -30. It will be Wednesday before it will be above zero again. I am glad that someone can still collect mushrooms on this site. It will help me get through 3 to 4 more months of winter. So keep posting the pics!

Our weather pattern is very strange. This Tuesday it will be a high of 25 degrees and on Friday it will go up to 60 degrees and raining.

I feel for you Dakotabob as I am from the North- Michigan.

As long as I keep finding I'll keep posting. The bright yellow mushrooms were a delight to the eyes with all the dull brown out there on the trails. I flipped out when I saw this log covered in the velvety bright yellow stuff.

It is -25 right now at 8:30 AM. We have been having weird weather, as well. We have been averaging around four days of below zero weather. Then it warms up and rains for a day and then we drop back into the ice age. Those one day warm ups sure make a mess out of the roads. The ground is froze;so, any rain freezes instantly and turns to black ice.

Looks like Carbon Balls in the first photo (along with some old dried up gilled mushrooms... maybe Panellus stipticus?). Interior of Carbon Ball is hard and somewhat grainy with easily noticed concentric bands of dark colors.

Photos 2, 3, 4 may show a Crepidotus species. But they look a bit yellow for Crepidotus Phyllotopsis nidulans. This one has caps with hairy upper surface and an unpleasant odor. Paxillus panuoides = Tapinella panuoides has irregular gill edges. Spore prints: Crepidotus brown, Phyllotopsis pinkish, Paxillus panuoides yellowish to brownish.

5th photo, need to see more traits, but I'd guess Pluteus. On wood?

6th photo is almost certainly a Blewit. Spore print color would eliminate any potential confusion with Cortinarius.

Jelly looks to be growing on a hardwood tree. Tremella mesenterica (Witch's Butter) is a good possibility.

Nice photos jd. Georgia in January looks like Pennsylvania in October. No mushrooms observed here while cross-country skiing this morning.

post-591-0-52010000-1388946816_thumb.jpg

Well Dave at least you have pretty snow. I have to sludge through cold muddy slop. We do have some icicles-thats about it.

DakotaBob-that sounds pretty darn cold and dangerous. I hope you can stay at home with a nice roaring fire.

I do believe Pluteus would be correct on the brown mushroom. Here's some more pics.

Of the crepidotuspost-591-0-12282700-1388948396_thumb.jpg

The pluteus. I didn't want to pull it up since it was so cool looking. Definitely growing on the wood-same as the crep.

post-591-0-93760900-1388948439_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-00280300-1388948501_thumb.jpg

Oh forgot to say if you want a nature fix (Bob!) or anyone- check out my blog at terriduda.blogspot.com.

Here's a recent post.

post-591-0-31363200-1388948582.jpg

Hey JD, I plan to stay indoors today. If I am lucky, maybe I can talk Mrs. Dakotabob into wheeling the trash out to the curb tonight! (I can dream can't I?) We did make it to -23 today what is worse is the wind. It blowing at 25 and gusting to 35+ mph.

What about those poor Dakota laborers who walk alongside the garbage truck and toss the garbage in? Tough job, I guess somebody's gotta do it.

I do like the snow. Xx-skiing is a big part of my winter exercise... when there's enough snow. Sloppy icy rain falling right now. Glad I got out this morning for 2.5 hour ski.

Jd, the new photo of the yellow shelf mushroom seems to show hairs along the cap margin. I took another look at the 3rd photo (original grouping) and I can see the prominent hairs on the caps in closeup. I think the yellow shelf-shrooms are Phyllotopsis nidulans. Here's a similar observation recently made in Mexico. These mushrooms (link) seem a bit more ambiguous.

http://mushroomobserver.org/143631?q=1ixzY

In case anyone was wondering if I survived my ordeal of wheeling the trash to curb, I survived before I turned into a snow cone. I did, however, have to check to make sure I had my pants on. We are having a heat wave today. It is -16 out.

Wow Kimon, if it was 9 degrees C here (48 F), I would be running around in a bathing suit! (Trust me, being I am 63, that would not be a pretty picture!)

While I made a joke about the pants, I did not stray that far from the truth. When I took the trash out, I made sure that I put on a fleece vest ,an oversized parka, a face mask, hat and gloves. but I did not put on anything extra to protect my legs and ankles. My place sits out in the wind and by the time I got back in the house my legs and ankles were chilled. It took around an hour to get them warmed up again. It is zero here this morning and the people out this way are almost dancing in the streets. Unfortunately, that is going to be the high for the day and it is going back to -20 tonight. After that, it starts to warm up.

At 15 degrees, they probably shut all the schools in Atlanta. Stay warm!

YEP. It was 9 degrees here this morning and all the schools were shut down. That is crazy that a walk to take the trash out takes that much apparel. An hour to warm up from a short walk-wow!

Thanks Dave for that link. That certainly does look like the crepidotus I saw. That seriously made my day on that particularly hike to see those mushrooms. Talk about a bright beacon shining yellow in the dull brown and gray landscape.

Well Dave i aint sure. 10 days ago i went hiking to amountain close to Athens and i couldnt find any. On the other hand, during another excursion about 100 miles to the east -at Ziria mountain- i saw a lot, even in places covered by ice. I also saw a lot of shrooms comin out of cow dung -i guess that was a halluginocenic type but i didnt get any pictures coz i was out of batteries. My father -who could identify only lactarius sanguifluus and we used to go together to pick them up- says that mushrooms appear till january tops. But he is no expert...

In Greece the ''heart'' of mushrooms is around the city of Grevena, in Northern Greece. Grevena has gained the title ''mushroom city'' in 2006- or 2007. Close to Grevena is the biggest line of mountain peaks, the mountain peaks of Pindos-there u can find a lot of types of shrooms. In Grevena there are also taverns that have wild mushrooms on their menus, and in August they organise some type of Greek Mushroom Festival. I hope i go this year -it will be my first time.

In some Mediterranean areas Saffron Milkies --Lactarius sanguifluus and/or L. deliciosus-- are often the most sought-after edible. Here in eastern North America we have L deterrimus, a similar orange latex "deliciosus" which is edible, but probably not as choice as most Euro varieties. Actually, I like L. deterrimus. Young specimens have a nice crunchy texture, and they tend to take on the flavors of any dish to which they are added. I like them in curries and spicy Moroccan style dishes. "Saffron Milkies" are also popular in Turkey. Most types of orange latex milkies are not difficult to ID, as the noticeably orange latex stains the flesh... green!

Sometimes winter weather around here can be mild into January (not THIS January). Here's link to some mushrooms I found on January 23, 2010.

http://mushroomobserver.org/32688?q=1jIUY

After November, fungal diversity really drops off around here, even when winter is mild.

Jd, those look like Galerina marginata (formerly G. autumnalis), the Deadly Galerina. Color, stalk, and gills look right for this type. The one stalk shows some partial veil clinging to the surface, not quite a ring but the same idea. The partial veil material looks to be rusty brown, which is what one typically sees on G. marginata. The white partial veil becomes rusty brown from the spores. Also, growth on wood and cold season matches G. marginata. Deadly poisonous!

Well, after lots of observations of one type of mushroom --especially an important type like G. marginata-- the traits sink into one's mind. Very common October-December mushroom, with occasional winter or springtime appearances in my area.