Iowa Golden Oyster

Nice photo! Sure looks like the Golden Oyster (Pleurotus citrinopileatus). This species in not native to NA (as far as I know). It is hypothesized that the species "naturalized" as a result of people growing these mushrooms in cultivation kits. I have seen reports of this species from PA, MD, and NJ. Not sure if any existing reports originate from the Midwest. Iowa may very well be the western most occurrence reported in NA. 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I have been harvesting these in the wild in Winneshiek County for the past five years.  They are quite abundant -- way more than our family has been able to use or to give away.  Unlike morels, which mushroom neophytes readily accept as gifts, because these mushrooms are not generally well-known among the public, people are hesitant to accept these mushrooms harvested from the wild.  I can't fault such hesitancy, and that just means (again, unlike the case of morels) there is not much stress on the wild population of golden oysters.  Likely because of drought conditions this spring in Winneshiek County, I have found this year to be sparse for fungi, particularly morels.  But, yesterday, I brought home about five pounds of golden oysters to hold us for the week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I live in Muscatine County Iowa and I can easily go out back into the woods and find 3/5 pounds of these on fallen trees and some vertical dead trees.  They are quite tasty and I am glad they are so abundant.