Hericiums are poppin.

bobby b

On Saturday I saw 8 to 10 Hericium americanus that were past, (dried out). They were a dead maple. Yesterday I found my first ever H erinaceus , 6 of them. Only one was prime, 1.6 lbs. It was on a dead maple.

20181014_131149.jpg

Oh man, that mushroom is on my bucket list of ones that I really want to find. I saw one from the road on someone's tree earlier this year but nobody was home to ask permission so, sadly, I left it. How did it taste? I've heard they taste akin to crab/lobster.

What it taste like? I sizzled 1 inch squares of it for 15 to 20 minutes in butter & olive oil, s&p and then a squeeze of lemon. It browned real nice, was mild, maybe a little like seafood. The lemon made it tangy like lemons do. The core of the head is semi solid and was sometimes a little chewy. It is not a classic mushroom in taste. I'm sure in places where it's more common people adapt lots of recipes to it. Would never pass up a fresh one. A crab cake recipe might be right.

I had some small heads left and decided to try Sue's crab cake thought. Pan fried it with some wasabi mayo, homemade bay seasoning (was out of it), a tab of butter & olive oil, & a squeeze of lemon after cooking. Nice and crispy, brown, kinda like seafood.

20181018_112932.jpg