Which Bolete(s)?

I'm not sure if they all are the same kind, caps seem velvety on all but stems vary in coloration slightly.

the ones pictured with a knife taste slightly off.

post-1017-0-36783600-1435709878_thumb.jpg

post-1017-0-00334000-1435709906_thumb.jpg

post-1017-0-84514600-1435709930_thumb.jpg

post-1017-0-71991200-1435709950_thumb.jpg

First photo looks like Xanthoconium affine.

Other photos look like a species of Tylopilus. By "off taste" I'm guessing you mean not bitter, but with a definite flavor.... as opposed to mild taste with the X. affine. Perhaps a taste similar to licorice... except maybe sharper? So I'm gonna run with the taste thing. (With the truly bitter Tylos, they're REALLY bitter.)

These appear to have the "beveled" cap margins generally associated with T. badiceps. But badiceps has a maroon-brown, purplish brown, to reddish brown cap. I'd guess these are just faded badiceps except... I just made a very similar collection today. The chemical reactions (KOH or ammonia on various parts) are not even close to what's reported for badicpeps.

post-20-0-44039900-1435720515_thumb.jpg

I harvested two of these for study, and am preserving one. The other I cut up an applied chemicals. The pores bruise dark brown, and the cut flesh stains spotty light brown.

If you'd like to follow any progress that may be made regarding my collection....

http://mushroomobserver.org/208346

Thanks Dave. By off-taste I mean slightly sweet but also a bit bitter. Nothing like T. felleus or the purple species, on a scale of 1-100, maybe a 5. Your specimen looks very close to mine, same faded cap color, not reddish at all, so photos show accurate color.

I really don't like the taste, not sure if I want to eat them.

Guys be a bit careful with the really bitter thing. The ability to taste bitter seems to be a genetic thing and neither my brother nor I can taste bitter. That means that T. felleus is a tasty edible!!!! My first hint that I was bitter deficient was actually on an organized foray held by the Toronto mushroom club. The guys decided to have some fun with the n00b and pressed me to sample some T. felleus. Tasty I said and I promptly ate half the mushroom. The joke sort of backfired because most of them just had to taste the sample to see why I could eat it and they got a full blast of the bitter taste.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Dufferin. What I'm wondering is whether all of the bitter Tylopilus are non-toxic. This is well known for T. felleus. So I'm wondering about T. violatinctus, rubrobrunneus, and plumbeoviolaceus. All of these are large firm-fleshed boletes that may be very good edibles either for a person lacking the bitter sense, or if properly prepared, maybe for anyone?