Late 1970's book from Europe

I received this book from friend,who knew I had picked up the hobby of studying mushrooms.

Really cool find !!

Just thought I'd share a few things out of it that I thought to be interesting.

Not sure how to space pictures with the text........Still learning this computer

Pretty awesome they used mushrooms as fly traps in the Medieval Times !!!

35 years dried and revived after moistening ?!?!?! WOW Mind boggling to say the least

I'd put money on it that it was a Cajun who first crushed the L. piperatus as a spice for their crawfish étouffée or crab stew :)

post-976-0-89964200-1466157287_thumb.jpg

post-976-0-64474900-1466157324_thumb.jpg

post-976-0-49520900-1466157485_thumb.jpg

post-976-0-63447100-1466157507_thumb.jpg

post-976-0-32370300-1466157528_thumb.jpg

post-976-0-86688000-1466157545_thumb.jpg

"Pretty awesome they used mushrooms as fly traps in the Medieval Times !!!"

Good to know! Rotting mushrooms are the only thing that can hold a candle to open sewers and people how have literally never bathed. From my experience, this seems correct.

Amanita muscaria is still called the "Fly Agaric" on account of its having been used to stupefy flies.

Cajun, do you make your etouffee hot/spicy? Most of the recipes I've seen for Crawfish Etouffee --including Emeril's-- do not look like what I had in a restaurant in New Orleans. The recipes I see look kinda like a mixed veggie stew that includes crawfish tails. However, the meal in NO was crawfish tails in a dark rich sauce surrounding a mound of boiled white rice. I have developed my own recipe here at home; actually uses a mushroom! I remove the tails from the crawfish body and then boil the crawfish shells to make a stock. Then rehydrate dried King Boletes in the stock, saute the rehydrated mushrooms along with onion and celery, puree the shrooms/veggies along with the flavored stock, season (I use some Worsestershire sauce), add to a roux to thicken, and then add the crawfish tails.

Damn Dave, that gets the salivatory glands working! Love crayfish and adding dried edulis sounds amazing. Bummed out about Ontario crayfish, two inches is a big one. Great smallmouth bait however. When I grew up, in B.C., we would get crayfish in the eight to ten inch range.

I've made lots of bisques using lobster and crab shells, perhaps a crayfish and lobster mushroom blend?

Last time I blanched lobster mushrooms, for freezing, the stock smelt exacltly like lobster stock.

That's interesting rob, the stock produced from blanching Lobster Mushrooms.

There's a recipe I got from Jack Czarnecki's mushroom cookbook that uses lobster (the actual shellfish) stock as the basis for a poaching liquid that's turned into a sauce for salmon. I tweaked it a bit so that it's more of a comfort food than a high-end restaurant dish.

Amanita muscaria is still called the "Fly Agaric" on account of its having been used to stupefy flies.

Cajun, do you make your etouffee hot/spicy? Most of the recipes I've seen for Crawfish Etouffee --including Emeril's-- do not look like what I had in a restaurant in New Orleans. The recipes I see look kinda like a mixed veggie stew that includes crawfish tails. However, the meal in NO was crawfish tails in a dark rich sauce surrounding a mound of boiled white rice. I have developed my own recipe here at home; actually uses a mushroom! I remove the tails from the crawfish body and then boil the crawfish shells to make a stock. Then rehydrate dried King Boletes in the stock, saute the rehydrated mushrooms along with onion and celery, puree the shrooms/veggies along with the flavored stock, season (I use some Worsestershire sauce), add to a roux to thicken, and then add the crawfish tails.

I'm not a big believer in "Cajun food has to be spicy to be Cajun". I've heard that time and time again and in my opinion its false.

The traditional crawfish etouffee that I'm used to is really bold and rich and has to be made with great love and happiness. ;)

i start by blanching the crawfish for roughly 3-5 minutes. Peel tails, putting tails aside while using my finger to extract the fatty tissue and juices from the head(the more fat tissue the better) Sauté veggies in butter,,add fat, and some sort of mushroom puree or cream of mushroom. Let stew for a few hours seasoning to taste. I don't add crawfish until about a hour before I'm ready to serve on a mound of rice. I'll add a tiny bit of dark roux from time to time, to thicken and give a different flavor. I don't have any recipes i actually follow at all. i've learned everything i know from grandparents and parents by helping in the kitchen. Don't remember ever following recipes. Dave, that sounds really delicious !!!!! I'm jealous of the king boletes. Maybe one day i'll be able to forage some and incorporate into a dish.

Damn Dave, that gets the salivatory glands working! Love crayfish and adding dried edulis sounds amazing. Bummed out about Ontario crayfish, two inches is a big one. Great smallmouth bait however. When I grew up, in B.C., we would get crayfish in the eight to ten inch range.

I've made lots of bisques using lobster and crab shells, perhaps a crayfish and lobster mushroom blend?

Last time I blanched lobster mushrooms, for freezing, the stock smelt exacltly like lobster stock.

rob, bisque is another one of my favorite dishes. The heads are actually stuffed and stewed into the bisque . Amazing !!

That's interesting rob, the stock produced from blanching Lobster Mushrooms.

There's a recipe I got from Jack Czarnecki's mushroom cookbook that uses lobster (the actual shellfish) stock as the basis for a poaching liquid that's turned into a sauce for salmon. I tweaked it a bit so that it's more of a comfort food than a high-end restaurant dish.

Dave, have you ever blanched lobsters (mushrooms). I've only done it, the one time, when I had an excess. The stock smelt amazing, in fact I brought the pot around to my neighbors, who all agreed. Unfortunately I never had the time to use it (risotto maybe) and haven't blanched lobster mushrooms since.

I like how you transferred a "high end dish" into comfort food. I was a schooled high end cook who found that most people would sooner have good food with good flavours than a "pretty dish".

Lots of meals in hunting/fishings camps with fresh fish and ducks, incorporating local wild mushrooms, was what I loved to do.

rob, bisque is another one of my favorite dishes. The heads are actually stuffed and stewed into the bisque . Amazing !!

Cajun, what do you stuff the heads with? My desire to do something (other than bass bait) with the local crayfish has arisen.