Hello all!

monty1

I'm in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, B.C. and have been interested in wild mushrooms for about 20 years. I'm interested in hearing from others who are likewise interested and especially from those in my area. But also from other distant places to compare what different types of mushrooms are available there. Some of the more available types I've hunted for and found here are Chanterelles, Morels, Cauliflower, Boletes, Hedgehogs, and a few others. I'm interested in branching out a bit and trying to learn to identify other edibles.

Hi, Monty. Welcome!

The board is a little slow right now, but I didn't want your post to go without a reply, even though I'm a relative newbie.

Hopefully others will be along soon who can offer a little more help! :)

Hi Sunny One and thanks for the welcome! I can understand why it's slow around here right now but it probably won't be long before things get humming and the mushrooms start appearing. I've found Chanterelles here in Nanaimo as early as August 1st. but that won't happen this year due to hot and dry weather. However, I've been reading some reports from Ohio that tell of good Chanterelle harvests.

Welcome to the board, monty1! Depending on what part of the country you reside, you are either knee deep in mushrooms or in a holding pattern waiting. This appears to be one of those banner years for parts of the east coast and midwest for chanterelles. I was in Montana for a few months picking morels and porcini but now I'm back in SW FL and the spots where I go mushroom hunting and photographing are under water and closed at the moment.

Welcome to the board, monty1! Depending on what part of the country you reside, you are either knee deep in mushrooms or in a holding pattern waiting. This appears to be one of those banner years for parts of the east coast and midwest for chanterelles. I was in Montana for a few months picking morels and porcini but now I'm back in SW FL and the spots where I go mushroom hunting and photographing are under water and closed at the moment.

Hi ladyflyfish, and me too on the flyfishing. I'm definitely in the holding pattern right now in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island but as I said earlier I've found Chanterelles on August 1st. in a wet year. Well that's a long way from the SE US but I'm thinking that it must be the holding pattern down there for you too.

On the upside, I took a trek up a mountain near here today and found Northern Bearded Milky at around the 2700 foot level. Didn't have a camera but made a positive ID when I got home in my Audobon book! A first for me but one of the suspected poison ones. :-(

Better days are coming soon! For now, some flyfishing for Pink salmon off the beach instead. And you? Thanks for the welcome!

Monty, I am in a holding pattern only because of flooding in the area. August us usually our best fungi month but if we keep getting so much rain, it will be a bust. My favorite park to walk and photograph fungi is under water and closed and I don't know for how long. If things would have a chance to dry out, it could potentially get good, although we have scarce few edibles in my area. What we do have is quite unusual and beautiful fungi which are not seen in other parts of the country. It's a bit too hot to fish now too, so yes...I'm in a holding pattern on all counts. You should be getting going soon.

Monty, I am in a holding pattern only because of flooding in the area. August us usually our best fungi month but if we keep getting so much rain, it will be a bust. My favorite park to walk and photograph fungi is under water and closed and I don't know for how long. If things would have a chance to dry out, it could potentially get good, although we have scarce few edibles in my area. What we do have is quite unusual and beautiful fungi which are not seen in other parts of the country. It's a bit too hot to fish now too, so yes...I'm in a holding pattern on all counts. You should be getting going soon.

Around here we could start to see mushrooms in August but if this hot dry weather holds it could be put off until even as late as September. However, last year the rain didn't come until the beginning of October and then it started to freeze too, which resulted in very few Chanterelles. So from what you say of your area, it sounds like August is best because of it getting too cold later? Or not?

I'm not really familiar with what causes Chanterelles to fruit in other areas and so what happens here in my neck of the woods could be very different from what causes them in yours. Does your area even get cold or freezing temperatures. SE US meaning how far south and east?

So it looks like fishing off the beach for Pink salmon for most of August. This has become one of our most anticipated fisheries as it's possible to catch 30 or 40 fish is a day when the fish are int thick. On a 7 or 8 weight flyrod of course. The fish can run anywhere from about 2 pounds to around 7 pounds and they are silver bright even in the river mouth. We're allowed to keep 4 a day and a maximum of 8 so I smoke them or eat them fresh. Very good both ways. A little off topic for a mushroom forum but I thought you would be interested in knowing of this. My understanding is that a similar fishery exists down along the Washington and Oregon coast this time of year.

I used to fly fish for silvers off the beach in West Seattle when I lived there. My biggest silver was 6 pounds. I think I'd go for the fishing too. Although I did see some photos of lots of chanterelles starting to come in now from BC and tons of lobsters too.

I used to fly fish for silvers off the beach in West Seattle when I lived there. My biggest silver was 6 pounds. I think I'd go for the fishing too. Although I did see some photos of lots of chanterelles starting to come in now from BC and tons of lobsters too.

Lobster? Obviously as in lobster mushrooms. Do you mean that they come in commercially to be sold in the stores? I'm surprised if that's what you're saying because the lobster mushroom is a little bit of an intangilble thing isn't it? Depending on what mushroom was parasitized? For that reason I've always shied away from them but then recently I was told by a friend that it doesn't matter which mushroom is the host. Or more to the point, can bad ones even become lobsters? Amanitas? Some of the bad russulas?

Oh, and as for silvers or cohoe as we call them, any size is a delight on a fly rod!