Hello everyone. Thank you to all who helped with my last identification. Alas, I think I figured this one out myself.

I was hiking this evening in NC and found the cool mushroom in the pics. I scavenged a zipbag from my day-pack and

harvested the specimen. I photographed it and took it home to spore print and identify. (See pic, please.)

I tried an app to identify it and it came back as something completely wrong, with several more suggestions that were easily ignored. I will not name the app.

A few minutes on the internet, and I am fairly certain it is a Volvarialla bombycina. Being new, I am hoping someone could help with a confirmation.

I have also concluded that I would be wrong. It could be a different subspecies of Volvariella or Volvopletus or worse something completely frightening

but all signs seem to point toward the Variella b. mushroom.

Again, no one is eating it, just learning.

Let's see if I can do this right and sound intelligent.

OBSERVATIONS:

1) The mushroom was growing alone in some "Mulch" in a dead hardwood tree on a small freshwater island in NC in early August.

2) The mushroom smelled similar to a portabella or variant.

3) The volva was intact upon discovery.

4) The gills (lamellae) were salmon colored. (Similar Copic Marker RV42 Salmon Pink)

5) The cap (pileus) was "fuzzy" looking up close. (See pic Volv6)

6) When separating the stem (stipe) from the cap (pileus) it was firmly attached and broke into three pieces as seen in the pic (volv1).

7) The pieces were very moist and it took nearly an hour to get a good spore stain.

😎 The spore stain is a rusty reddish brown color. (Similar to Pantone 18-1248 TCX swatch)

9) Ants were on it. (Not sure this is relevant.)

10) Cap was approximately 4"-5" in diameter.

Thank you all for your patience and help.

Volv8.jpg

Volv6.jpg

Volv2.jpg

Volv1.jpg

Volv5.jpg

I think it's a species of Volvariella, but not V. bombycina. This species grows from standing trees and has a cap that's really quite hairy. But, the fuzzy cap suggests Volvarella as opposed to Volvopluteus. I don't have a confident species proposal. 

Nice work with the spore print. This eliminates Amanita section Amidella, which features similar-looking mushrooms. 

2 hours ago, Dave W said:

I think it's a species of Volvariella, but not V. bombycina. This species grows from standing trees and has a cap that's really quite hairy. But, the fuzzy cap suggests Volvarella as opposed to Volvopluteus. I don't have a confident species proposal. 

Nice work with the spore print. This eliminates Amanita section Amidella, which features similar-looking mushrooms. 

Thank you both of the assessments. Really appreciated.

Dave W. Is there any chance it may be a Volvariella gloiocephala?

13 hours ago, ChickenOfTheWoodz said:

Is there any chance it may be a Volvariella gloiocephala?

"Gloiocephala" is currently placed in genus Volvopluteus. The mushroom seen in this discussion looks more like a Volvariella than Volvopluteus... But, I'm not very confident about this. I don't find many mushrooms from either of these genera.