My first hunt! ID before dinner ?

Foulhook

Well...  I made the trumpets into a cream sauce that I used over a tomahawk steak sliced thin cooked medium rare. Sautéed some spinach and served over garlic mashed potatoes. Absolutely fantastic! Now I just want the confidence to try the chanterelles and porch’s ! 

The yellow mushrooms look like chanterelles, but there's not many details available about them. There's only one photo that features one of these, and this particular mushroom looks kinda beat-up. 

I think the boletes may be a species of Tylopilus that's bitter tasting. Are you certain of your own ability to taste bitter? (a small percentage of males lack the ability to sense bitter.) One bitter Tylopilus can ruin an entire meal... for anyone who tastes bitter. 

11 hours ago, Dave W said:

The yellow mushrooms look like chanterelles, but there's not many details available about them. There's only one photo that features one of these, and this particular mushroom looks kinda beat-up. 

I think the boletes may be a species of Tylopilus that's bitter tasting. Are you certain of your own ability to taste bitter? (a small percentage of males lack the ability to sense bitter.) One bitter Tylopilus can ruin an entire meal... for anyone who tastes bitter. 

Good morning Dave! Thanks for the reply. I believe you are correct about the Boletes. I halved them an put my tongue to them. There was a 9v battery kind of bitter so I tossed them. 

Yes the chanterelles got beat up in the bag. Going to get something better for carrying them today. They were a little old when o spotted them. All were found under hardwood trees, 1 or two at a time. They are crumbling rather easily. 

Can you give me some insight on how to ID the real Porchini Bolete? Would love to try some before the season passes. 

Girlfriend and I are going g to come to your open to the public meeting at the end of the month! Excited. We are about an hour and a half away . 

Boletus edulis: classic type has hamburger-bun colored cap, reticulation on the stalk that is white or brown (in older specimens), flesh that does not stain/bruise, pores that do not stain/bruise (except for maybe some darkening on injured parts), stalk enlarged below, and... flesh that tastes mild. In order to learn to ID King Boletes, you need to taste them. 

Red-capped and orangish-capped varieties occur in eastern NA, as well as gray or brown capped types (the latter mainly in hardwood areas).