Greetings from WNC

ncsteve

Hello all, happy to find my way here.

I live in Western NC, near the Tenn. border, on an old, rundown farm surrounded by Pisgah Nat Forest. This is my 3rd year hunting edible and medicinal mushrooms.

I hike and run in the forest and one day found an entire fallen Beach tree covered in Oysters, that's how I got started. I ate so many of those I smelled "funny" according to my GF.

That first year I also found Chicken (Sulphur Shelf) and Fried-chicken mushrooms, but they were old and buggy. And, I ate my first Chanterelle that summer. Also, I burned off around some old Apple trees on my property and last year Morels came up! This year was hot and dry and only 1 Morel bloomed :( I'm going to irrigate next year if necessary.

I race off-road motorcycles and often follow the logging roads and fire roads deep into the forest. Last year I started foraging while taking a break, along with my usual efforts at collecting the trash that the Bear hunters leave each year :angry: I was rewarded with my first Latex Milky and abundant Chanterelles.

This year I ate my first Boletes, Painted and White Suillus. I rate both as choice btw. Now I'm finishing what may be the last of the Latex Milky, though I'm still hoping more will bloom when it rains again, Chanterells are up and there's so many Oysters I've started drying them. Summer Boletes are up, but nothing edible yet, only B. sensibilis and today a Violet-gray Bolete.

Also this year I hit the Reishi jackpot. I drank fresh tea for over a month and have 7 quarts of dried slices.

Sorry for the long post, but I don't have anyone else interested to tell it to. I guess I should join the local club soon. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully contributing a little :cooking:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, thanks for the reply. Well, my enthusiasm is waning lately because it hasn't rained much here in weeks! We have just sporadic, scattered showers, not soaking rains we normally do. Chantys are on hold until it rains again and have only seen a few pitiful specimens of some others. I did receive a copy of Mycophilia, so that's occupying me a little and will go up to high elevation, deep woods this weekend to see if there has been any rain there.