Which Agaricus?

eat-bolete

Found these today along a hard surface path, clay mixed with gravel, NO TrEEs within 10ft, they were all pretty much in button stage, and doubt they would mature, too dry. Any way to identify these definitely enough for safe consumption (if edible)? cap really feels like button mushrooms from the store, stem short, 1/2-3/4" in diameter. Smell is not distinctive, stem flesh turns pink after cutting, cap flesh doesn't change color after cutting. Cap color off-white, with yellowish scales. Gills seem free, pink gray, moderately crowded. Taste not distinctive, slightly sour.

Thank you.

post-1017-0-88753100-1442801517_thumb.jpg

post-1017-0-09958000-1442801555_thumb.jpg

post-1017-0-27860700-1442801631_thumb.jpg

post-1017-0-46246000-1442801662_thumb.jpg

post-1017-0-77114400-1442801693_thumb.jpg

These are kinda interesting. Smallish size, squat stature, and lack of a persistent annuls (on some of them) suggest a "campestris" type. But the grayish color on the gills (lacking in pink) and the membranous ring seen on one specimen suggest A. arvensis. It would possibly be helpful to see the entire stalks.

Any noticeable odor? Any staining on the stalk bases?

I tried to smell a bunch of them, nothing. Unfortunately I didn't save any with entire stalk, I know, rookie mistake. Stalks were 1"-1.5 long, tapering off at the bottom, no yellow or other coloration at the bottom.

Gills were more pink and less gray on smaller specimen.

Ring/annulus appears on all that opened enough to show gills.

Agaricus red flags (in eastern NA): small black scales on cap concentrated on the disc, unpleasant chemical odor like phenol. These types that sicken --A. placomyces, A. pocillator, and a few others-- tend to occur in areas where A. campestris types do not occur. Campestris types --field mushrooms-- occur on lawns, fields, and bare soil. The bad ones tend to occur in forested areas, among shrubs, or in ornamental gardens.

I agree with campestris. I've seen grayish coloring on really young specimens just this season. They also tend towards a greyish/purple once the mushroom has been refrigerated. Brown spore print is helpful with indication.

Another trait of the campestris is it's moisture content. They're much softer/spongier than a.bisporus. Also, the gills are extremely delicate when compared to bisporus.

After you slice and prepare those mushrooms you will literally lose more than 3/4 of the mushroom's size. Still, really tasty.....even old ones have a much stronger mushroom flavor than bisporus. Down side? They only last for a couple of days and when dehydrated can pretty much be used for stock powder or seasoning.

Another upside? I have seen some writing on campestris containing some sort of water soluble properties that can possibly help promote insulin production as well as assisting the body with breaking down sugars in a more efficient manner. I've been considering adding it to my teas.