2 boletes with nice colours

shroomersue

Okay, getting better at sussing out boletus ones found under oak. First one I know now is boletus inedulis. What a nice combo of colors! Some blueing when cut. Olive spore print. The following shots of younger red capped blueing bolete, others mature versions, I suspect is boletus pallidoroseus, not sure on this one so some input would be great!

post-205-0-70880100-1442631451_thumb.jpg post-205-0-26501300-1442631552_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-35486700-1442631990_thumb.jpg post-205-0-93725200-1442632153_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-79052500-1442632220_thumb.jpg post-205-0-76593000-1442632334_thumb.jpg

First one looks like Calobloetus (Boletus) roseipes. Or maybe another species of the newly designated genus Caloboletus.

Second one... a stumper! Pores appear to be slightly red/orange tinged. Down here in Pennsylvania, this would likely point toward Boletus subvelutipes. But the colors on the cap and the stalk don't remind me of this species. What kind of trees were near these mushrooms?

The names and genus categories keep evolving as I begin to learn old info! The rosy capped bolete was growing gregariously within a big white oaks territory. There was quite a few of em but mostly all matured. It immediately stained blue when I cut it up. Would that orange tinging be from spores dropping?

Boletus spores are generally olive-tinged. So I think the orangish flush on the pore surface is the color of the pores. Some Boletus species with normally yellowish/greenish pores develop an orangish tinge in age, especially when the weather has been very dry. For example, I've seen Baorangia (Boletus) bicolor with an orangish flush on the pores. But the ones seen in this post are quite unlikely to represent bicolor, as per the dark and complete bluish staining on the stalk flesh.