Incredible smelling bolete, powdery yellow stem

ChefsWild

Looks like these have partial veils (judging form the upturned one). That's a really useful piece of info. Narrows things down to a few genera... mainly small genera, except for Suillus. But these mushrooms have a few features that lead away from Suillus... dry cracked cap surface, pores look like there's a bit of pale blue staining.

I think these are an example of Pulveroboletus ravenelii. This is a very distinctive species when young, but more difficult to ID when mature. The pores and/or cut flesh should stain bluish. Yellow powder on one's fingers as a result of handling is a trait to be expected with P. ravenelii. The odor of P. ravenelii is described as "not distinctive."

The odor faded within an hour of cutting the one specimen. I left one in situ but will go back for it to see if the scent might have been a fluke or the result of something else in the environment. It was quite impressive.

I believe I also found an immature specimen completely covered by the veil. Not sure if I got around to photographing it or was too exhausted to add it to the photo-and-identify list.

I am sure this one is the same species. The same amazing scent was present especially on the powdery yellow that came off on my fingers. Sweet, spicy, floral, fragrant. Definitely not from anything else I was handling, as it was one of the first I encountered today.

post-827-0-70396500-1442043524_thumb.jpg

post-827-0-72842300-1442043545_thumb.jpg

Whoever described the odor as not distinctive either has no nose or the particular ones growing in my area have something going on. Two different patches (same basic area, separated by about 1/2 a mile) of this mushroom, exact same highly memorable odor. I have a pretty good palate and memory for smells - I've been known to identify a wine varietal from across the table just by the smell of it being poured into the glass - and I will never forget this scent.