Strange Mushroom for Possible ID.

Snowblind

Found this set of strange mushrooms growing on decayed wood. Possibly a really old birch tree. We have a few of these monsters around in the woods that have entered the last stages of standing. I want to believe these are Morells. It would be my first find. I moved some debris way so I could photograph them and it became obvious there was some mecilium running through the rotted debris. I also noticed that there were a few insects that looked like house flys on them from time to time. What had attracted me to the area was large clusters of some kind of gilled mushroom growing all over the trunk. I was surprised that another species of mushroom was able to get ahold of some real estate among the large clusters on and around the tree.

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

A type of stinkhorn? Was it emerging from a jelly-ish bulb? If flies are attracted to it, that’s an indication of a stinkhorn — they stink! 

It seems also that morel season is closer to spring depending on where you are, and stinkhorns come out around now, autumn. 

5 minutes ago, wny_forager said:

A type of stinkhorn? Was it emerging from a jelly-ish bulb? If flies are attracted to it, that’s an indication of a stinkhorn — they stink! 

This is certainly a Phallus species.  I believe when they are all white like this, it indicates they are in the very late stages of development so they will no longer stink or attract lots of flies.  I think the stink comes from the slimy coating that used to cover the cap.  The persistent veil is an interesting feature that should be helpful in identifying the species.  

I looked into these suggestions and was able to find a bit more information and would believe it's a common stinkhorn-phallus impudicus. The insects have consumed the slimey coating rendering the cap or the "gleba" all white. I'll be keeping an eye out for a second flush to get look and a whiff of this beauty in it's earlier stage. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...