Clavaria coral fungus?

Thuja

• Thuja changed the title to Calvaria coral fungus?

Some of the Ramaria species are known to cause undesirable reactions... stomach upset, indigestion, diarrhea. The bad ones tend to have a bitter or sour taste. 

I think the ones seen in the original post (first photo) are probably Ramariopsis kunzei, a white Ramaria imposter. But, there are a few species of Ramaria that are white/whitish. Examination of spores at 400x would settle any doubt. Ramaria have elongated spores; Ramariopsis kunzei spores are small and round, or at least nearly round. 

Here's a pale Ramaria I found a few days ago. I haven't yet determined a species... and likely will not. Ramaria species are very difficult to distinguish. 

505295806_RamariaThrn8-211.thumb.JPG.29bab6481ab06aeb2496141291d33ec1.JPG

• Thuja changed the title to Clavaria coral fungus?
11 hours ago, Dave W said:

Some of the Ramaria species are known to cause undesirable reactions... stomach upset, indigestion, diarrhea. The bad ones tend to have a bitter or sour taste. 

I think the ones seen in the original post (first photo) are probably Ramariopsis kunzei, a white Ramaria imposter. But, there are a few species of Ramaria that are white/whitish. Examination of spores at 400x would settle any doubt. Ramaria have elongated spores; Ramariopsis kunzei spores are small and round, or at least nearly round. 

Here's a pale Ramaria I found a few days ago. I haven't yet determined a species... and likely will not. Ramaria species are very difficult to distinguish. 

505295806_RamariaThrn8-211.thumb.JPG.29bab6481ab06aeb2496141291d33ec1.JPG

How was this separated from Artomyces pyxidatus?

Guessing here now... Originally, the differences noted between Artomyces pyxidatus (formerly Clavicorona pyxidata) and Ramariopsis kunzei probably included: 1. A. pyxidatus grows on wood, R. kunzei is terrestrial; 2. A. pyxidatus has ellipsoid spores, R. kunzei has round (globose) spores. 3. Stuff I don't know and perhaps do not understand, more esoteric microscopic features like clamp connections or arrangement of hyphae. 

But now, almost everything is based upon DNA. Molecular data is used to construct phyllogenetic trees where organisms are grouped according to similarities in their DNA; "ancestors" and "descendants" are determined according to the sequences. Organisms placed close enough together on a tree comprise a genus, in the modern sense. In many cases, classic designations stand up to DNA analysis. But sometimes some very different-looking organisms end up close together on a tree. Or, species that look a lot alike may end up in different genera. It is my understanding --perhaps incorrect-- that mycologists still consider macro and/or micro morphology when designating a genus. That is, organisms that are very similar from a molecular perspective may still end up in different genera based upon other criteria... But I'm getting in over my head now. Better stop :-)

... Also, for one merely hoping to determine A. pyxidatus vs. R kunzei... The former has branch tips that look like little crowns, circles of points. R. kunzei has blunt branch tips that often do not form little circles. But, one can sometimes look quite a bit like the other. That's when the microscope comes in handy. 

Gee from what I'm reading A. pyxidatus crown tip coral mushroom is edible. I'm curious why isn't Clavariaceae used anymore? That's what's in my book from 1962, no references to Artomyces pyxidatus or Ramariopsis kunzei.

Also here's another, different coral fungus from the same area. Thanks for guidance.

20210823_152208-01.jpeg

Edited by Thuja
Added photo

This latest photo looks like a species of Ramaria to me. Looks like there's a single stalk-like portion from which this arises, and the branches appear to be somewhat pigmented. 

There are lots of different species of Coral Fungi, housed in several different genera. No "comprehensive" field guide covers even most of them. Rather, one generally sees a representative sample from each genus... except Ramariospis kunzei is often left out of filed guides. 

There have been LOTS of changes in taxonomy since 1962.

Not often. Most of the eastern NA Ramaria species are bitter. A. pyxidatus and R. kunzei are not very substantial. Clavulina cristata is okay. If I find a particularly fresh firm one I may take it home to eat. When it comes to edibles, I mainly concentrate on ones that are "choice".