I think this Mushroom is flammulina velutipes but it may also be galerina marginata, also known as the deadly galerina. I noticed this mushroom has no visible ring zone. I know that sometimes the ring zone isn't always visible on galerina. 

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

I would personally not consume this mushroom. The stem on the flammulina velutipes that I find around where I live are black-ish and pretty thin. Try taking a spore print, if it's white it probably is indeed velvet shanks (flammulina velutipes). Also, did they smell like iron rust? And lastly, velvet shanks start growing only when there are pretty low temperatures (less than 7 degrees Celsius) or after the first freeze. If your mushroom meets all of these criteria, it could quite possibly be a velvet shank. But it's not worth taking the risk of consuming it unless you're 100% sure since it has a good amount of fairly toxic relatives!

I found this mushroom about mid October, and I live in Mississippi, so it was definitely not very cold. I didn't take a spore print nor did I notice any distinct smell. I had no intention of consuming this mushroom because I am fairly new to mushroom hunting. I am just trying to gain some knowledge on mushroom identification. I probably should have taken a spore print. Thank you for your insight!

How can tell that is not is not F. Velutipes? Other than those are not white gills.

Dave, thanks for the species suggestion, I will look into those fungi.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:26 PM, Dude12o said:

How can tell that is not is not F. Velutipes? Other than those are not white gills.

Dave, thanks for the species suggestion, I will look into those fungi.

I have harvested F. Velutipes for many, many years and I have never once seen them growing solitary or with similar coloration on cap and that light of a stalk.  The white mycelium is the biggest giveaway though. F. Velutipes does not have white mycelium.