Greetings from Central PA

Kevin Hoover

I guess after posting here the last month that I should finally introduce myself.  I’m Kevin, and I’m relatively new to mushroom hunting. I did hunt morels in south central PA apple orchards with my father while I still lived at home. 

Got interested after finding a nice flush of chanterelles this summer. Took a while to be confident enough to eat them. I was 98% sure but wanted someone who knew the species to confirm my ID. That’s a rule I’m still following. 

Joined the Central PA Mushroom Club and have gone on two of their walks. Picked a couple of hedgehogs (Hydnum umbilicatum) and took in to one walk to verify. Then spent a lot of time this fall picking hedgehogs under hemlocks.

Planning to grow wine caps and oysters in beds this year, and will inoculate logs with shiitake and oyster (my wife gave me plugs for both for Christmas). 

Am spending the winter researching mushrooms avidly. Especially milkies and boletes. 

I’m retired, and love the outdoors. Gardening, kayaking, fishing, hunting, reading and cooking are some of my favorite activities.