Late Shaggy Mane find?

x000111

Found these under a pine tree in a housing development. One was already inkified but the others were super healthy looking so I took them.

I threw a couple away that were turning watery/inky. Is there anything that looks like a shaggy mane that is deadly? I read that the only way to be fully sure if this is a shaggy mane is by looking at the spores under a microscope.

post-300-0-80643000-1350686963_thumb.jpg

post-300-0-69215900-1350686966_thumb.jpg

post-300-0-60763100-1350686968_thumb.jpg

Any mushroom with a large, elongated, shaggy white cap that quickly turns to dark ink upon aging can be safely assumed to be a Shaggy Mane. At least that has been my experience.

If one wants to eat the excellent Shaggy Manes then I think it's a good idea to learn about a few of the other fleshy inky caps. Coprinopsis atramentaria is a fairly large inky cap that can cause serious illness if consumed along with alcohol... or even if alcohol is consumed 5 days before/after the mushrooms.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/coprinopsis_atramentaria.html

I know a person who used to collect Shaggy Manes. One evening he ate a whole plateful, and polished-off a botle of wine. A couple hours late he was in the ER getting his stomach pumped. It has never been clear to me what actually happened that night. Maybe he accidentally collected some C. atramentaria that was growing along with the Shaggy Manes? Maybe he just overindulged? Some mushroom books suggest that alcohol and Shaggy Manes may not mix very well. I have consumed Shaggy Manes and alcohol together without any problems.

Here's a few other inkies...

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5862~gid~~source~gallerydefault.asp

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5860~gid~~source~gallerydefault.asp

Thanks for the info. After doing more reading, I found out these were safe to eat. I've heard of instances where alcohol and inkies have produced bad results so I just threw these in with some pasta and left the wine alone.

These weren't my favorite but now I can say I've tried them.