Climacodon? edible?

Actionclaw

I found what I believe is a fairly good sized cluster of Climacodon septentrionale. I don't have a photo but it looks very much like the one shown in this post and matches all descriptions found (so far as I can tell) on all counts except that this is one is growing near the base rather than higher up on the (Maple) tree.

Are there other varieties that are very similar?
Is Spongipellis pachyodon its nearest lookalike?
Whats the biggest difference tween the two?

I've read that Climacodon is "..not known to be poisonous, but ..bitter and too tough to eat." This one didn't seem particularly tough to me; probably less tough than Sulphur Shell. Also that "the taste is mild when fresh becoming bitter with age.." I took a tiny sample and found it to taste OK - actually pretty good.

Researching this, I came across other's online posts with questions similar to mine:

"I just found ... Climacodon septentrionale, the northern tooth fungus. I read two different sources, one saying this is inedilbe and the other saying it is edible when young. The one I found was young so I cooked it up and am doing fine. I connected with the source who said it was inedible and he did not have a solid reason, except that he had never eaten it for why not to eat it. So I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this mushroom and if you have eaten it. I found it to be tasty."

Is it safe to say this is considered "inedible" not due to being poisonous but only because some think one might enjoy eating it about as much as they might enjoy eating cordwood? So, even if it might not be good sautéed with eggs or steak or whatever (and keeping in mind that I have even used Turkey Tail) could it if young and fresh -if nothing else- be used to make a nice stock?

Thanks