Need help with ID of this mushroom all over my neighborhood

Maynard

This mushroom is all over my neighborhood growing at the base of trees, typically maples and oaks. It’s cap is roughly the size of a quarter and the gills are dark brown/black. Working on a spore print as of now.

B31DB6A0-FB5D-4DC0-AA0F-446F6DA937AA.jpeg

74C8EC5B-D729-405B-BF19-6718F4ACCED1.jpeg

0C2FB952-219F-4B6A-9068-F7F6BBB09A0A.jpeg

Looks like Coprinellus micaceus. Actually, this name refers to any of a few different species that are very similar. Common name is "Mica Caps", for the small shiny flecks often seen on the caps (but are apt to be washed off by rainfall). Older field guides list this type under genus name Cpprinus. The ones seen in these photos are post mature, with gills darkened and beginning to disintegrate. This type mushroom is often found in urban settings (as well as in the woods). 

Spore print should be black. 

Thank you! Oh great! That seems to make sense with what I’ve been reading. This is a side note but does anyone know of a good mushroom ID app? This forum is honestly been the most helpful thing for ID, but I’m looking for a better app for casual use. I’m currently using “Shroomify”

but thanks again Dave!

Try Inaturalist. You'll need to register to post. Select add an observation, select from photos, drag & drop a photo from your photos and when you click on the species name it will give several species to choose from. Sometimes the first choice is it, sometimes it's off. It took me many tries to get the hang of posting.