Slightly aged mushroom

ChristiaandeWit

Was this found recently? In North Carolina? Looks like a brown-spored mushroom. I don't know the species for this. Maybe something in genus Pholiota? Another suggestion is genus Tubaria, which mostly produces mushrooms during the winter. But, I don't recognize this as any species of Tubaria. 

Actually, these remind me most of Cortinarius, maybe something similar to  https://mushroomobserver.org/image/show_image/385964  . But species of Cortinarius are all mycorrhizal, meaning the fungus is associated with a living tree. Mycorrhizal fungi tend to produce mushrooms while the partner tree is actively providing nutrients. At least with deciduous trees this process is put on hold during the winter. Were these mushrooms growing near coniferous trees? Mycorrhizal fungi associated with conifers sometimes produce mushrooms even after the weather has turned cold. Up here in PA I have found Cortinarius mushrooms growing under pine as late in the season as 12/31   https://mushroomobserver.org/398300?q=1dKmk  Although even in N. Carolina late February seems like an unusual time of year to find a mycorrhizal mushroom. 

Most Cortinarius mushrooms produce rusty-brown spore prints.  

It takes only a few pines, spruce, or other conifer to support associated mycorrhizal fungi. Fir example, I once found a fruit body of Amanita praecox growing near a single hemlock in an otherwise hardwood forest (mainly oak). Amanita praecox is known to associate with hemlock; association with a hardwood tree is highly unlikely. 

Did you spore print any of the yellow-capped mushrooms? My guess is they represent a species of Cortinarius. Interesting find!