Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I found this mushroom the day before yesterday. Did a little research, and found  that it resembles Panellus stiptickus. I read that this mushroom is bioluminescent so I went back after sunset and found that it does not glow in the dark. It has somewhat scaly leathery texture and no discernable scent. Anyone know what these could be?

20210213_144636.jpg

20210213_144412.jpg

20210213_144406.jpg

20210213_144307.jpg

20210213_144445.jpg

20210213_144436.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, Panellus stipticus. In my area (PA) it fruits in the fall and the mushrooms then persist throughout the winter. I have not seen the bioluminescence for this species. I think maybe it's necessary to collect when young and take immediately into a completely dark area... at least this would likely give the best opportunity to bee the glow.

Once I did manage to see the species Omphalotus illudens glow (Jack 'o Lantern). They mushrooms were very fresh and I took a cluster into a completely dark closet. It took over 5 minutes for me to see the gills glowing fluorescent green, but once the effect became evident it was quite dramatic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the ID conformation! Really cool! I've been wanting to find Jack 'o Lantern in the wild but I haven't found them yet. I would like to be able to see bioluminescence in a mushrooms; however, I am reluctant to take a mushroom home unless necessary for further id or if I intend on eating the mushroom. I know it probably isn't a big deal, but I try to disturb the ecosystem as little as possible. What do you think, is this concern warranted?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fruit body of a fungi (mushroom) is like an apple on a tree. You don't actually disrupt the fungal organism by picking a mushroom. On the other hand, there is some debate as to whether over-harvesting may affect fungal proliferation. Taking home a cluster of Omphalotus illudens likely causes no environmental harm. Though, you may get some orange liquid on your fingers, which can be a bit unnerving. The species is somewhat toxic. Just wash you hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.