What are the odds?

After finding some honey mushroom and oysters I took small pieces that I cut off when cleaning them and planted them next to dead roots of oak trees in my yard. Is it possible that they will take and eventually produce mushrooms there? Hope they do!

Thanks!

If it works please post it. That will likely be a year from now at the earliest.

For several years, I have "planted" all pieces of mushroom that I deem to be not suitable for food--dried, soft, white worms, a bit rotten, etc.

I give them a fast blitz in a blender with rain water. Then splash it either on the base of trees or over ground in the forested area behind my yard. 

Species include Oyster, Lobster, Chanterelles and many different Boletes.

So far no success. Although last summer one single Lobster mushroom appeared where there never was any before but perhaps that was coincidence.

I did that this summer with meadow mushrooms and spread it on a part of the meadow that didn’t have any on it.  Will see.  But I question why I did this, as I had a hard time keeping up with the ones that were growing- and this was a dry summer for us!

Definitely if it works I'll post about it someday. 

By meadow mushroom do you mean an agaricus or shaggy mane like species? Found some agaricus growing on a high dry spot in a yard not long ago. Planted pieces of caps in my own yard where I thought the conditions to be similar to where I found them. Maybe that might work too someday. Figure mycelium and or spores are being used to some extent or another so should work sometimes I think. How else would they spread in the wild if that wasn't the way they must do it naturally.

Agaricus campestris. Known as pinkies locally. Next year I’ll pick them at a younger stage.  Late summer, every rain brought a flush. In the most heavily used part of my horse pasture. Surprisingly the horses never stepped on them. It was not uncommon to pick a hundred or more at a time. 

You can try using pieces of fresh stem bases, from good quality mushrooms, in addition to spore laden caps.  Lobster mushrooms are a parasite fungus that attacks (mainly) Russula's, so you would need Russula sp. growing in the area for the Hypomyces to attack.  I do know of individuals that have successfully "infected" an area where Russula's grew, with Hypomyces lactifluorum, and now get about 50% lobsters every year!

And I know of an individual that was able to get B. grandedulis to colonize around an oak tree, that had not previously had any.

With Oyster mushrooms you can try placing stem butts and ripe caps on fresh exposed wood, but keep in mind it will eventually kill the tree.

Good luck.

There's a completely dead oak in the back corner of one of my properties. Own to properties right next to each other. Planted the bases of both oyster and honeys up against some roots I exposed a bit and covered back over. 

In the side yard of my primary property I have a monster oak that git torn up badly by hurricane Michael. Snapped all the big branches off. It's still alive for now but it's gonna die shortly anyways. Huge ripped open portions of tree where pieces broke off. Planted the bases of some honey mushroom at the roots of that tree too. 

Still have spore prints of honey's to mix with water and splash on the trees as well. Hopefully something will take.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:25 AM, DShroomGuy said:

There's a completely dead oak in the back corner of one of my properties. Own to properties right next to each other. Planted the bases of both oyster and honeys up against some roots I exposed a bit and covered back over. 

In the side yard of my primary property I have a monster oak that git torn up badly by hurricane Michael. Snapped all the big branches off. It's still alive for now but it's gonna die shortly anyways. Huge ripped open portions of tree where pieces broke off. Planted the bases of some honey mushroom at the roots of that tree too. 

Still have spore prints of honey's to mix with water and splash on the trees as well. Hopefully something will take.

Make sure to use rain water, or untreated well water.