New house/new mushrooms

AGL

We just moved towards the Georgia mountains and I’m finding lots of new specimens I’d never seen before, here’s the first one I’d like to get opinions on. 

Found growing within garden mulch. As you can see it’s basically hollow, fibrous flesh. Had an odd smell to it, not very pleasant I’d say. 

F3E6999B-0F8B-417D-86B7-5F3452EC0E15.jpeg

DEC269E3-6C93-4AEA-A231-7D048EDE0BF0.jpeg

781CAABF-B8DC-4F36-8E21-200C4AAD670D.jpeg

31A2E6A0-7024-4D40-A571-5F4A4E882876.jpeg

DCEC5417-FD85-4267-A3F5-630C17FD8C31.jpeg

1A9D2E49-46EB-40A4-9738-78F2206F7BE8.jpeg

Species of Phallus, a genus of "Stinkhorn" mushrooms. These grow both in the woods and in gardens, mulch, or near compost. My first impression was this is P. ravenelii. But the underside of the cap seems to show some white lacy stuff that may have become more evident as the cap/mushroom expanded. This suggests P. duplicatus as an an alternate possibility. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/phallus_ravenelii.html      http://www.mushroomexpert.com/phallus_duplicatus.html

Actually, some species of Stinkhorn are edible when in the "egg" stage. For example, Phallus ravenelii eggs are edible. The ones seen in these photos are advanced beyond the egg stage, and I assume that nobody would attempt to prepare such a putrid mushroom. However, in some parts of Asia a few types of mature stinkhorns --including Phallus indusiatus, the "Bamboo Fungus"-- are consumed after the stinky cap is cut off. 

Not sure if there are any problematic types of Stinkhorn. Author David Arora --in his book Mushrooms Demystified-- relates an attempt to prepare/consume eggs of the species Clathrus archeri (aka. "Stinky Squid"). He describes a very unpleasant experience. Years back, I tried eggs of Phallus ravenelii; sliced and fried. It was actually pretty good!