From grass after store bought fertilizer laid down

Rob on Oahu

Wondering if anyone can help.

The brownish smooth Cap is 3 1/2“ across and mostly flat or knobbed. It is not delicate, it is sturdy like a store bought portobello.

the Gills are white, not seeing pink and are free, not touching stem

the 3” long Stem is equal or club shaped. No ring 

No strong smell, waiting for pore test results.

FA169F18-617E-419E-A118-1DA511BAC569.jpeg

4A6CA595-7905-456A-9355-7E06767CBD6E.jpeg

EB4064BF-EAA7-48E1-A434-3CB1AFC4A59C.jpeg

6E35585C-BDFC-441B-A9AA-B434202AD2D6.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Does anybody know what this is called? I snapped it in northern England in winter.

r/fungus - Does anybody know what this is called? I snapped it in northern England in winter.r/fungus - Does anybody know what this is called? I snapped it in northern England in winter.

r/fungus - Does anybody know what this is called? I snapped it in northern England in winter.

r/fungus - Does anybody know what this is called? I snapped it in northern England in winter.

Later on i figure out that there are lots of types of fungi's available in the nature like mycorrhizal fungi. This type of fungi is called mycorrhizal fungi, from the Greek words ‘mýkes’ and ‘rrhiza’; ‘fungus’ and ‘root’ respectively, and these mycorrhizal fungi and plants maintain a mutualistic relationship that goes back millions of years. For more details visit https://www.indogulfbioag.com/mycorrhizal-fungi

It's best to create a new discussion when a different mushroom is pictured... to avoid confusion. 

This latest mushroom is a Tree Ear, species of Auricularia. In North America we have several recently named species. In Europe and/or Asia the species are (mostly?) different. Knowing the type of wood they're growing on is helpful. 

Auricularia are not mycorrhizal species. Many different types of mushrooms occur with hairs/threads/roots on the base of the stalk. Such a feature is not indicative of the fungus being mycorrhizal. The hairs/threads/roots are just the connection of the mushroom to the mycelium (fungus) that produces the mushroom.

"Mycorrhizal" means the fungus is wrapped around the roots of a living tree in such a way that both the fungus and the tree benefit (symbiotic relationship; the tree shares nutrients with the fungus and the fungus makes it easier for the tree to absorb nutrients). Auricularia species are "saprobic", meaning the fungus gets it nutrient from dead/decaying organic matter like old tree branches, roots, woodchips, or lawn waste. The third category of fungi is "parasitic". Some types of fungi extract nutrients from living organisms by infecting the organism as a destructive parasite. It is believed by some mycologists that some types of fungi may play different roles at different stages of their life spans.