Found on a walk in the woods

Mike Brooks

My wife & I took a strole in near the woods & in a clearing I came across this Mushroom.  We were interested to identify it & assess if it is an edible veriety.

Pic 1 is in its natural location sadly I was a little close..

Pic 2 & 3 show it more closer.

Thanks

Mike

Wood Mushroom 1.jpg

Wood Mushroom 2.jpg

Wood Mushroom 3.jpg

This looks like one of the species commonly called Shaggy Parasol in the genus Chlorophyllum.  I don't know what species are possible at your location, but the ones I'm familiar with stain pink or red when cut, especially at the base of the stalk.  A spore print would be useful; white would rule out the green-spored C. molybdites.

I suggest obtaining a spore print. The toxic Chlorophyllum molybdites has a green print. The other species of Chlorophyllum have white prints. Also, genus Macrolepiota may be considered here. In my area, these classic "Parasol Mushrooms" have flattened scales on the stalks that often form a zig-zag pattern. But, there may be other types that occur worldwide.

Where is Chelmsford?

Also, genus Lepiota --some dangerously toxic species-- features mushrooms that somewhat resemble Macrolepiota or Chlorophyllum. Generally, Lepiota mushrooms are smaller. But, it's definitely recommended that one become familiar with this genus if the goal is to ID Parasol Mushrooms. 

A. augustus has a different general appearance: a shorter, fatter stalk; but the most obvious difference is the color of the gills.  Like typical Agaricus mushrooms, A. augustus gills are only white in very young specimens; this mushroom is quite mature.