Mock Oysters and Late Fall Oyster

Ahh, been finding these lately (your last photo) panellus serotinus. Tons of them especially today. Olive Oysterling. Never ate them.... Would like to try them sometime.

Mine have been white to cream underneath. Heard you need to dry cook the heck out of them for 12-15 to get all the moisture out of them before adding any butter / oil or anything else.

Any one else that has tried these?

1 hour ago, bprzyw said:

Heard you need to dry cook the heck out of them for 12-15 to get all the moisture out of them before adding any butter / oil or anything else.

Any one else that has tried these?

Those in the picture were thrown in with some Oysters and a Green Russula. All I did was chop up some onions, fry them in butter then add these and the other mushrooms. Had them as a snack while watching 60 minutes. I made sure to cook them well, found them to be meaty and very tasty. DIdn't notice any moisture issue.  Found mine in what looked like a downed Oak on the edge of a brook.

Great Rondayvous! I will be out today getting some. I can probably pick 10 pounds, they're everywhere. I did notice the deer eating them though. Glad to hear no moisture issues. Also heard they can be bitter if not cooked good. The ones i have found are on maple and beech trees. These (to me anywho) signify the last of the mushrooms in my area. So sad!!! Well there's always April morel season to look forward to :)

Well... so i thought... Went out today and about 1 pound is all i found. Deer got the better of them. There are tiny ones, so maybe in a day or two i'll check back. They are very dark green, not like the pics i took.

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

Hahahaha, might freeze some. They should go well with anything. At least their cooked, and taste yummy. I did see 3 honey's when i was out. Supposed to be getting 1.5" of rain tomorrow.

Yea, the rain brought quite a few mushrooms to life here too. I don't pick honeys unless there are dozens or more, I consider their abundance one of the identifying traits. I did find one perfect blewit (a first) but left it there along with a few slippery jacks. Just not enough there to bother with. There were two other mushrooms I couldn't quiet ID. I put a question out on the ID section of the board. The ones I found under PINE were everywhere, if they are edible, there is a feast everywhere around me in the woods.

Yup, i left them also. Saw a lot of others also. I was walking and saw a stinkhorn...said hmm it's a stinkhorn...don't pick it up, reached out and had to give it a smell...Yuck. I know what they smell like, it's like an instinct...IDK..

4 hours ago, bprzyw said:

Yup, i left them also. Saw a lot of others also. I was walking and saw a stinkhorn...said hmm it's a stinkhorn...don't pick it up, reached out and had to give it a smell...Yuck. I know what they smell like, it's like an instinct...IDK..

Check out Adam Haritan's latest video about eating stinkhorn "eggs".

Well, Johnny, watched the video. Adam is great, however he can eat all the ones he wants to. I however cannot, will not, ever possibly eat them. Just gagging watching.

Plus i do not really like radishes. That is horrible, did i tell you i was gagging watching? LMAO !!!!

Thanks Johnny!!!!