Cantharellus subalbidus?

KELSEY

Hello, We did a bit of youtube and internet research and went looking for Chanterelle's.  

We just want to be 100% certain before cooking them up. 

We are in Leavenworth, WA (October 21st 2020) and it's been raining for the past 3-4 days.  I found the white looking ones together and images 8526-5830 were found separately.  They have a slightly more golden cap.  We have not taken a spore print yet but can add that info when we get it.  

Found in a clump together with others under a felled tree.  

Thank you for your help!

IMG_5817.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5819.JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5823.JPG

IMG_5824.JPG

IMG_5825.JPG

IMG_5826.JPG

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5829.JPG

IMG_5830.JPG

Yep, I recently found a bunch of those in Washington state, but I would toss those reddish brown ones, they’re likely rain damaged, and likely are partially rotted as well, I’ve come across a lot and they’re honestly not worth saving in my opinion, too much work to try to cut away the good parts, so I leave them for the wildlife. Nice ones though! Where’d you find these? 

Edit: didn’t see the fact you were in Leavenworth. I’m in Wenatchee! I found almost 6 pounds of white chants in just three trips to the lake Wenatchee area, plus today I found about three pounds of white matsutakes and some other various edible mushroom species. 

So awesome! Yes I agree I am tossing those brown ones I think they came out in the rains that came about a week ago I am glad you concur, to be honest I literally just fried up a small piece of the white ones in butter and its divine! 

I cannot thank you enough for your response I will certainly go to bed without anxiety! 

On icicle road! 

Awesome! It’s a shame, I think today is the last day of mushroom season this year unfortunately. The lake Wenatchee area is supposed to be hit with snow and low teens temps for a couple days, which I fear might send all the mushrooms into hibernation. Hopefully they persevere through it, because the temps are supposed to shoot back up to the 40s and 50s by November

Really? Wow! I was at my spot today and it was probably around 45-55 degrees Fahrenheit there, I wasn’t expecting much this time around but I got my biggest haul of the year so far! I’ll probably visit that spot in mid November if the temps are still up but other than that I think it’ll have to wait til spring. Maybe I’ll find some spring chanterelles, who knows? Idk if they grow in the spring though.

Just amazing my first time hunting for mushrooms EVER! We couldn't climb in the canyon because of the snow so out we went mushroom hunting and it was just a joy, soggy boots and all! 

Also I have to say aside from Chanterelles and morelles I'm out of my league anything that looks like a boletus I am a bit unsure of! Definitely have found a new hobby!!! 

Yeah, try going a little earlier next year and I’m sure you’ll find all sorts of good stuff. What’s the biggest one you got today? My record white chanterelle is one that weighed a half pound and it was about 6 inches across. I found it probably no more than a half hour from where you’re located. The Okanogan-Wenatchee Forest is a great place for mushrooms. I was a late bloomer for that forest this year as well, I didn’t start hunting there til October 7th, so I’ll have to go a little earlier next year I think. 

Also, it’s worth mentioning there are also a species of chanterelle called a “scaly chanterelle” that are generally poisonous, and I saw plenty of those yesterday as well, so be careful and don’t mistake them for a rain battered whites and try to cut away the white parts, they cause stomach upset in most people that eat them. They’re very easy to differentiate generally, but to the untrained eye they look like a rain battered white chant

• 10 months later...