I'll update if anything happens this fall, but did innoculate a number of logs with 500 lions mane plugs in the spring. Some may be a bust because no wax was used to seal, but hopefully some take hold.

Rain, rain, rain here in NC. Big rain over the weekend and up to 4 inches yesterday has provided great conditions to get out an look for fungi. I cannot swim for another week, so hiking the last few days has been a replacement and it is timed well because of the rain.

My normal spot near home has produced cinnibar, ignicolor, golden and even some smooth chanterelles, but last evening, while looking over a moss covered bank my first black trumpet was staring me in the face.

Had to get to work extra early to prepare for early meeting, so afterward I decided to take a 45 min walk around the Lake. Cinnibar clusters found a few days ago were even more numerous and under just about all pine locations. The first golden chanterelles at work were found in some more mixed woods areas along banks of the lake. For some reason I took a shortcut from the trail through the woods, stop for a few to scan and when I look down, a nice cluster of fresh black trumpets! What a nice walk and there is something to be said about the smell of the trumpets... of all mushrooms I've found, this seems to have the most distictive, sweet foral like fragrance. Can't wait to make something special.

Yesterday hike. Did not get pictures of ignicolor or smooth.
post-664-0-14357000-1407950146_thumb.jpg

Today

post-664-0-12409700-1407950152_thumb.jpg

wow. just.....a damn fine quantity of not one, but several of the best related species of edible mushrooms. i'm pumped for you. post pictures of what you cook with them.

what is the biology like where you're finding the black trumpets......not just trees, but insects, ground covering plants, moss/lichen/mold, other fungi, standing water......any odd bush-type plants.....perhaps I need to check out some newer areas with different properties. or I need to get to an area with some legitimate old growth.......we lack that around my immediate area.......so we lack a lot of that nuclear infused rot :)

I'm so glad you found some black trumpets, you've had a good season. What kind of trees were the associated with? I agree with you about their smell, simply wonderful. Unfortunately it's drying up around here and I don't expect to find any more black trumpets until we get some rain. The other thing about black trumpets is they usually grow in abundance when you find them, so you may want to go back and have a careful look around. Congratulations on a great find!

Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying this learning experience. Posted below is a pic of the older ones found last evening. Shows how hard it is to spot these treats.

I've been looking hard in this steep ravine area with small creek, but nothing. Maybe it's the lack of good light. The area with the high concentration of BT's was east facing slope that goes down to small pond. A really good mushroom area. Lasts fall I found the hen of the woods on one of the oaks, and this year, the golden chanterelles were in this same area. Almost exclusively oak with lots of down branches and leaf litter. The BP's seemed more concentrated where the slope gets good morning sun and not as much in the more shaded parts. Not a lot of moss.

post-664-0-38642800-1408020660_thumb.jpg

John, I don't think so. It almost looks like a faded chanterelle, so would have inspected and remember the funky gills.

I had to go back to the BP spot at work and right off the bat, with a bit more careful inspection of the leaf litter they made themselves known. They were easier to spot when a pine was close to the oaks. Unfortuanatly many of the big ones were a bit aged, but the rains from 2 days ago has many small ones popping in the same area. I was able to get what feels like 2 lb of pretty fresh BP's! Lots of fresh cinnibar patches as well. Headed to the coast tomorrow, so will miss this second wave I guess.

post-664-0-44563900-1408036328_thumb.jpg

post-664-0-83081500-1408036334_thumb.jpg

We've been at the coast since Friday, so have not been out in the woods since last Thu. Took a quick walk just a few mins ago and the golden and cinnabars are still numerous. I keep finding nice black trumpet patches, but mostly too old now. Maybe a downpour last night will allow for more towards the end of the week.

Here is a potential nice find while waking into work this morning. Calvatia I assume, but never found any larger than a golf ball. Odd butternut squash shape. Pure white inside with marshmellowish texture. Growing on grass bank (no lawn treatment) in full sun. About 6-7 inches in diameter and 8-10 inches tall.

post-664-0-63794800-1408466398_thumb.jpg

Coastwx, after having a good season of chanterelles and looking forward to black trumpets and others, I'd have to confess to finding the puffballs not appetizing enough to be worth the effort. I find that their flavor is ok, but their texture is unappealing. That said, you may like them.

Thanks for that experience John. I have to agree.. at least the small raw sample is on the grainy side... not too bad, but a bit strange. I'll have to try sauteed, but a bit worn out last night, so just threw them in the dehydrator. I see that some like to grind up dried puffballs for soups, risotto, etc. I'll also try in meat rubs. Actually dired my last two batches of chanterelles and trumpets as well. Had some locally sourced steak on Sunday with black trumpet, salt and pepper rub and the mushroom really added another layer of flavor.