Brown ringed Amanita

bobby b

Congratulation to Dave W on "Wasilewski's Brown Ringless Amanita" Amanita Wasilewskii. The brown Amanita I photographed has a white partial veil, yellow gills and a thick white volva that does not leave warts. The volva material can form patches on the cap but they slide off. Amanita ?? 

20200913_142633 (2).jpg

20200913_142746.jpg

20200913_142837 (2).jpg

20200913_142605 (2).jpg

20200912_105009.jpg

Thanks, bobby!

Interesting find. I think it may be Amanita spreta. Except the cap surface features what appears to be small grainy scales. I'm not real familiar with A. spreta, but cap ornamentation like this seems unusual for any species of section Caesareae. The yellow gills are also interesting. The mushroom appears to be fairly young, so the it seems unlikely the yellow color is the result of aging. The cross-section shows a small limbus internus (ie. small cup inside the large basal volva), a trait listed for A. spreta. Mushrooms representing species from section Caesareae of genus Amanita have caps with marginal striations. But the striations are sometimes not seen when the cap is unexpanded, because they're folded tightly together like a squeezed accordion. 

Did you post these photos onto Amanitas of North America facebook?