Boletes

Jared

13 hours ago, Jared said:

How can you guys tell it’s a suillus species? What characteristics give it away?

Bolete with a slimy sticky cap even when it has not rained. I'm sure there are other features but the slimy cap is important.

10 hours ago, JOHNY said:

Bolete with a slimy sticky cap even when it has not rained. I'm sure there are other features but the slimy cap is important.

Suillus pictus (painted Suillus) never has a sticky cap, even when it's raining. It's one of my favorite Suillus mushrooms to pick and the first one I show people that have never picked mushrooms before, since it is so easy to ID. I dry the bigger ones and pickle the small ones. There are years when I can pick bags of them.

Most Suillus  have yellow pores and resin stipes. 

Some species of Suillus feature sticky caps and/or stalks. The ones seen here appear to feature small raised dots on the stalk that are likely to be sticky. Also, the yellow pores are somewhat radially arranged (radiating from the centrally attached stalk). In addition to looking like a Suillus mushroom, occurrence under pine supports a Suillus proposal. 

Suillus pictus (aka. Suillus spraguei; Eastern Painted Bolete) is a species of eastern NA that associates with white pine (only). It is not found in Washington State. There is a mushrooms called Western Painted Bolete, Suillus lakei.

The blue stain seen in the 4th photo down and the wolly/tomentose cap surface point toward Suillus tomentosus    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suillus_tomentosus  But, the small one seen here appears to feature a partial veil (membrane connecting the cap margin to the stalk; 8th photo down). This would eliminate the possibility of S. tomentosus, but would further support the claim these represent a species of Suillus. In fact, upon second thought... I think these are S. lakei!     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suillus_lakei

"Resinous stipe" refers to the presence of small sticky glands-like dots found on the stalk surface of many some species of Suillus. When the mushroom is handled the glands release a resinous substance.