10 lb Cauliflower Mushroom, amazing Chanterelle pic and one unknown

Rob Hack

P1040739.thumb.JPG.b1fdf4283f1b2afea9af3f5136881c80.JPG

Here's a really cool shot of a Chanterelle that was way, way far under a log

P1040735.thumb.JPG.48803e5204e7ef3df7702fda896bba4f.JPG

Looking for info on this mushroom. Intense dark red-to Orange-to white color  Shiny, glossy wet coating. Photo doesn't do it justice. Real eye popping. Found under Douglas firs in a place that regrew after a forest fire (real gold mine!) in the North Oregon Coast Range.

P1040779.thumb.JPG.50add8145e1fa464446f8e262a290c29.JPG

Chanterelles & Cauliflower

P1040755.thumb.JPG.86ca0661c84fa99aa21726033ceb23e5.JPG

Look this shroom up. It is a medical miracle! Reduces tumors, stops tumor growth, stops heart attacks, and so many other medicinal qualities that It would be way easier for you to look up then for me to try and list. no kidding!

P1040754.thumb.JPG.f0c66e8b242cff711d6b4082b8738e4a.JPG

10 LB. Cauliflower mushroom I discovered this fall. Found 15' from a huge Douglas Fir stump

The red and white one growing on the evergreen root looks like a varnished polypore. When they are big i trim off the soft white part, boil and cut it up as a meat substitute in soups. That one is too little. When I find the mushrooms here in NE PA that looks like that, there are lots of them growing on dead wood.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank You Rondayvous I'd never have found that ones name. Mine is actually growing out of the ground. This spot has the best soil/groundcover i've ever run across. Maybe I should bag it up and sell it! lol I stepped on a huge, completely buried, downed tree last time out. Dropped "in" almost to my knees. 'bout gave me a heart attack! My friend thought it was real funny until he stepped on one.

1 hour ago, Rob Hack said:

Thank You Rondayvous I'd never have found that ones name. Mine is actually growing out of the ground. This spot has the best soil/groundcover i've ever run across. Maybe I should bag it up and sell it! lol I stepped on a huge, completely buried, downed tree last time out. Dropped "in" almost to my knees. 'bout gave me a heart attack! My friend thought it was real funny until he stepped on one.

Yea, that doesn't happen here in the NE. Downed wood doesn't last long enough to get buried and rot underground. At least not anywhere that I've ever seen. I've seen varnish caps growing on the ground on buried wood. Sounds like that is what you found.