Identity assistance

Mike Brooks

Honey Mushrooms is one common name typically applied to species of Armillaria. I agree, these look like Armillaria.

IMO, Armillaria mushrooms should be par-boiled before sauteing or cooked in a stew. There is a substance present in fresh Honey Mushrooms that causes sickness for some people. Par-boiling in a rolling boil of water for 5 minutes or so and draining off the liquid is recommended. Even if this is done, for anyone who has never before consumed this type mushroom initially trying only a small portion of well-cooked ones is recommended. 

'Watch out for other types of mushrooms hiding beneath those clusters!

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

Honey Mushrooms is one common name typically applied to species of Armillaria. I agree, these look like Armillaria.

IMO, Armillaria mushrooms should be par-boiled before sauteing or cooked in a stew. There is a substance present in fresh Honey Mushrooms that causes sickness for some people. Par-boiling in a rolling boil of water for 5 minutes or so and draining off the liquid is recommended. Even if this is done, for anyone who has never before consumed this type mushroom initially trying only a small portion of well-cooked ones is recommended. 

'Watch out for other types of mushrooms hiding beneath those clusters!

Agreed Dave W. Keep an eye for any other types growing there!! Nice find Mike Brooks

• 3 weeks later...

There must be a lot of decaying roots below that grass for there to be so many honeys. There are so many (often) when you find them that it is impossible to eat them all. One good way to kill two birds with one stone is to dry them for later, then throw away the water you use to re-hydrate them. They are a favorite in my house with sauerkraut to make pierogis.

15 hours ago, troutddicted said:

Homeys 😂. Oops. 

Rondy, when you rehydrate them, how is the flavour and texture?  Do you slice them up before you dry?  What is the process?  

I just cut off most of the stem and throw them in the dehydrator. If they are big I might cut them in half. I like them better rehydrated than fresh, texture nice and firm. When I dehydrate mushrooms I dry them till they are cracker dry then vacuum them in pint or quart vacuum bags for storage.

17 hours ago, Rondayvous said:

There must be a lot of decaying roots below that grass for there to be so many honeys. There are so many (often) when you find them that it is impossible to eat them all. One good way to kill two birds with one stone is to dry them for later, then throw away the water you use to re-hydrate them. They are a favorite in my house with sauerkraut to make pierogis.

Now you're talking my language. ooooo...sauerkraut and pidpenky pierogies....drool

• 2 months later...

Armillaria mushrooms can exhibit slow reddish-brown staining, in particular when there's insect damage present. Here's two photos of what I IDed last September as Armillaria mellea. The reddish-brown to purplish staining is due to insect damage. 

Armillaria mellea RG 9-16 1.JPG

Armillaria mellea RG 9-16 3.JPG

I did not know that, good to know. I see a lot of Armillaria tabescens here in Ms, or I should say, what I suspected to be A. Tabescens. I have never noticed this bruising before. Thank you for the info Dave!