Hen of the Woods NEPA

Foulhook

Just a heads up. I found four large fruiting in the last 2 days and several that will be ready in a couple weeks. Looks like it might a a very good fall seasonšŸ‘.. all were found under white oaks and at the higher elevations. Lower elevations hadĀ some just starting to pop up. Cool temps this week should really get things going .Ā 
Ā 

HAPPY HUNTING!

Thanks for the info!! I have found several in northeast pa so far this year. Hope to get some rain to help them get bigger. Found on beech and maple, up the side of a hill. Chicken of the woods doing great here. Hopefully this weekend will pan out.

19 hours ago, bprzyw said:

Thanks for the info!! I have found several in northeast pa so far this year. Hope to get some rain to help them get bigger. Found on beech and maple, up the side of a hill. Chicken of the woods doing great here. Hopefully this weekend will pan out.

Thatā€™s great! Yes I found two more large hens yesterday. Iā€™ve gone into preservation mode now. Need more room in the freezer!Ā 
Ā 

I have not done well with chickens this year. I keep finding them a little late. My regular spots produced early this year and I missed them .Ā 

LOL, need bigger freezer!! Went out yesterday at usual spot, nothing. Then went behind house and found 3 honey mushrooms, in a opening in the forest canopy a bit damp but they were HUGE, still closed, not opened up. Have you tried drying them? I want to try making some mushroom jerky, but cannot find any now, so sad!! The only COTW i saw yesterday was down the road a mile and 30' up a tree!! But it was fresh. I used to pull out the ladders, but beingĀ 51, i did not my wife would have killed me if the fall didn't.

Nice! I keep finding honeys a day late too. Sooner or later Iā€™ll get the timing right I hope.Ā 
Ā 

I have a similar chicken spot. Used to get out the extended limb saw and stand in the tailgate. We are the same age. I have easier spots these days so I also passed this year.Ā 
Ā 

still findingĀ tons of hens. I havenā€™t tried them dried. The consensus I read was that freezing them while slightly damp was best. Iā€™ll certainly find out. I am out of freezer space so I will try them in the dehydrator this week and let you know.Ā 
Ā 

we could use some rain! None in the forecast right now

I remember my grandfather stringing them up and hanging them over the furnace. I have given most of what i collected this year away, except for a hen. (ugg!)

I wanted to make mushroom jerky now that i know you can do that.

All my spots are dried up. Hope we get some rain soon!! Looks like Sunday is the next day, they should send some up from the south!!

I went out yesterday, found 4 chickens, but they were already white, and one honey.

Today we had a deep freeze, ice on the cars, so maybe....

Good luck!