Edible Boletus Family Mushroom?

Mushroomfinder

Can someone please help me positively identify these mushrooms? Are they edible or poisonous? I found a huge patch of them under some pine trees growing in groups. These same mushrooms were growing there last fall in the same manner.  I can't find anyone in my area that is an authority on wild mushrooms. I think they may be in the Boletus family based on my web research? The caps of all the mushrooms are brown/tan, the underside of all of the mushrooms are a pale yellow and porous. There are no fins to be found on the underside of any of these mushrooms, they are all the same being brown/tan capped and porous on the underside. The caps are slimmy to the touch. They have a pleasant odor to them.  Thank you for any help. 

IMG_9682.JPG

IMG_9681.JPG

IMG_9677.JPG

IMG_9678.JPG

IMG_9679.JPG

IMG_9680.JPG

Nice work, Suillus mushrooms are sort of a group apart from boletes but I believe still fall under the category of bolete, someone else may be able to correct me haha. So you were headed in the right direction. Suillus mushrooms are known for having slimy caps and for associating with pine, so highly likely that is what you have. I don't know Suillus very well, you could try taking a spore print by cutting a cap off it's stem and setting it pore side down on tin foil for a few hours, this will give you a print and the color will help ID it. You can also use this key- https://www.mushroomexpert.com/suillus.html

Thanks for your response.  I literally had a grocery bag full of these mushroom last year and had to throw them out. I have the same situation this year. I can't find anyone in my area that is an authority on wild mushrooms. My personal opinion is they are edible, but without someone with authority to give me the thumbs up, they will get pitched again, and that gives me pain. I am no mushroom authority, I do however love to eat them. I can recognize safely the Morel, Shaggy Mane, and Puff Ball, that is the extent of my mushroom authority. Can anyone here positively ID these mushrooms, and the safety to eat them?

Slippery jacks should have a ring around the stalk I believe. While it’s possible these just lost that ring through age, it seems unlikely that all of them would have. I’d guess these are probably not slippery jacks. You can compare here- https://www.mushroomexpert.com/suillus_luteus.html

8 minutes ago, brendan said:

Slippery jacks should have a ring around the stalk I believe. While it’s possible these just lost that ring through age, it seems unlikely that all of them would have. I’d guess these are probably not slippery jacks. You can compare here- https://www.mushroomexpert.com/suillus_luteus.html

Google "Slippery Jack mushrooms" and then click on images. Notice the number of images leading to an edible Slippery Jack link with the link image not having a ring at the top of the stem. I am not saying that this gives my mushroom find a thumbs up to eat, I am simply looking for someone who is knowledgeable and confident enough here to say one way or another. Can anyone clarify that despite my mushroom stem not having a ring at the top it is edible? I have posted one of the claimed edible Slippery Jack without stem ring links below  Anyone? No disrespect intended.

https://www.milkwood.net/2012/05/04/easy-mushroom-foraging-slippery-jack-suillus-luteus/

download.jpg

The Slippery Jacks I have harvested all come in association with Mugo Pines planted years ago in a grass spot beside a garage.

They all have a very obvious ring. I peel the stick cap.

Some sources say that the occasional GI upset that can be experienced is due to the sticky layer which is easily peeled off. They are decent eating when fried in butter and a sprinkle of salt.

Maybe yours are a young form of Suillus brevipes?

44 minutes ago, JOHNY said:

The Slippery Jacks I have harvested all come in association with Mugo Pines planted years ago in a grass spot beside a garage.

They all have a very obvious ring. I peel the stick cap.

Some sources say that the occasional GI upset that can be experienced is due to the sticky layer which is easily peeled off. They are decent eating when fried in butter and a sprinkle of salt.

Maybe yours are a young form of Suillus brevipes?

They are ALL growing under a small group of long needle pines. There are short needle pines in the group of long needle. Only the long needle trees have the mushrooms under them in groupings.  I think you hit the needle on the head. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suillus_brevipes

800px-Suillus_brevipes_78.jpg

18 hours ago, Mushroomfinder said:

Google "Slippery Jack mushrooms" and then click on images. Notice the number of images leading to an edible Slippery Jack link with the link image not having a ring at the top of the stem. I am not saying that this gives my mushroom find a thumbs up to eat, I am simply looking for someone who is knowledgeable and confident enough here to say one way or another. Can anyone clarify that despite my mushroom stem not having a ring at the top it is edible? I have posted one of the claimed edible Slippery Jack without stem ring links below  Anyone? No disrespect intended.

https://www.milkwood.net/2012/05/04/easy-mushroom-foraging-slippery-jack-suillus-luteus/

download.jpg

A word of caution- if you go looking for someone to tell you a mushroom is safe to eat after ignoring its traits, sooner or later you will get the answer you want, whether or not it’s the answer you need. Google images are not policed for authenticity and as you demonstrated, are frequently wrong. Eating mushrooms you have not fully identified can lead to organ failure and death. There are some real amazing mycophiles on here who can be incredibly helpful. However, ultimately  the only person who can determine the edibility of your mushrooms is you, since you are the one who will suffer if you are wrong. We can’t hold, touch, smell, or examine your finds, all we can do is look at the photos you provide. Please familiarize yourself with how to utilize keys, it is absolutely crucial if you wish to proceed in this hobby. There are very few mushrooms that are so easy to identify that anyone will say “yes that’s absolutely safe to eat and I take responsibility if you get sick.” It just doesn’t work that way. 

2 hours ago, brendan said:

A word of caution- if you go looking for someone to tell you a mushroom is safe to eat after ignoring its traits, sooner or later you will get the answer you want, whether or not it’s the answer you need. Google images are not policed for authenticity and as you demonstrated, are frequently wrong. Eating mushrooms you have not fully identified can lead to organ failure and death. There are some real amazing mycophiles on here who can be incredibly helpful. However, ultimately  the only person who can determine the edibility of your mushrooms is you, since you are the one who will suffer if you are wrong. We can’t hold, touch, smell, or examine your finds, all we can do is look at the photos you provide. Please familiarize yourself with how to utilize keys, it is absolutely crucial if you wish to proceed in this hobby. There are very few mushrooms that are so easy to identify that anyone will say “yes that’s absolutely safe to eat and I take responsibility if you get sick.” It just doesn’t work that way. 

With all due respects, go easy, Brendan. I have no intention to eat them based on what is shared here.  I have 2 large bags full of these mushrooms, and this will more than likely be the second season I will have to throw them out. This gives me pain. What I have gained here on this website this fall is what I believe to be a spot on identification of the mushroom shared by senior member Johny above, that being "Suillus brevipes".  I am not a mushroom nut, I just love eating them.  I am going to do my homework before next fall trying to locate a wild mushroom authority in my area.  Next fall, when these mushrooms pop up out of the ground, I am going to take them to this area mushroom authority to seek approval for edibilty. I wish to thank you all for your responses and input. 

Suillus mushrooms representing a variety of species are widely consumed. But, some people are sickened if the mushrooms are eaten without having first peeled the slimy cuticle (skin) off the cap surface, which requires a fair amount of work. In Russia, pickled Suillus mushrooms are popular. 

I agree here with the S. brevipes ID proposal. 

22 hours ago, Mushroomfinder said:

With all due respects, go easy, Brendan. I have no intention to eat them based on what is shared here.  I have 2 large bags full of these mushrooms, and this will more than likely be the second season I will have to throw them out. This gives me pain. What I have gained here on this website this fall is what I believe to be a spot on identification of the mushroom shared by senior member Johny above, that being "Suillus brevipes".  I am not a mushroom nut, I just love eating them.  I am going to do my homework before next fall trying to locate a wild mushroom authority in my area.  Next fall, when these mushrooms pop up out of the ground, I am going to take them to this area mushroom authority to seek approval for edibilty. I wish to thank you all for your responses and input. 

No need to throw them out. Peel the cuticle of one or two and try them out to see if you like them. I am not crazy about them so I leave them behind, however, they are not the worst mushroom I've ever eaten. These are highly likely to be suillus brevipes and imho the suillus family is a pretty safe genus for edibility. Try them if you want, and hopefully you like them because the suillus genus is a very abundant one. I wish I liked them more than I do...

Thanks to all for your help. They pop up in the fall in abundance in a mower maintained area under conifer pines on a public gun range in plain sight of members. I have seen no evidence that anyone other than myself has picked them.  As a matter of fact,they destroyed a number of them running them over with the lawn mower.  So in a nut shell, if I can get to them before the lawn mower does, easy pickins. No woods to tromp through, as easy as walking out into your lawn to pick them. I had the same scenario at a home I lived in past. I woke up one day to look out the kitchen window to see shaggy manes popping up all over the place in the front yard. Lol.

29 minutes ago, Mushroomfinder said:

Thanks to all for your help. They pop up in the fall in abundance in a mower maintained area under conifer pines on a public gun range in plain sight of members. I have seen no evidence that anyone other than myself has picked them.  As a matter of fact,they destroyed a number of them running them over with the lawn mower.  So in a nut shell, if I can get to them before the lawn mower does, easy pickins. No woods to tromp through, as easy as walking out into your lawn to pick them. I had the same scenario at a home I lived in past. I woke up one day to look out the kitchen window to see shaggy manes popping up all over the place in the front yard. Lol.

As long as they are not spraying this area with chemicals of any kind (weed killer/insecticides) this should be a safe area to pick from. Never pick from an area that has been sprayed for anything or that is close to a roadway.

7 hours ago, Mushroomfinder said:

Adding to the comments of GCn15.

Be sure if they grow at a gun range that the ground has no history or potential to have a lot Lead in it. I would be more concerned about heavy metals (Lead) than pesticides that eventually degrade.

These shrooms are no where near where the lead flies.  They are not even in the actual shooting area. You drive or walk past them to get to the shooting areas.

I picked another bag full tonight. Now I just have to get the guts to doll a few up and give them a try.  

IMG_2020-09-15_15-33-08 (1).jpeg

IMG_2020-09-15_15-34-08.jpeg

IMG_9697.JPG

I found these growing not far from the Suillus brevipes in a grouping of their own. Now these look poisonous. Can anyone Identify and confirm they are indeed poisonous?

IMG_9698.JPG

IMG_9702.JPG

The name most often applied to the orange latex milk mushroom that occurs east of the Rockies and stains green is Lactarius deterrimus. Unlike the European Lactarius deliciosus, this eastern NA type --although edible-- is not quite delicious. Actually, I kinda like it for the crunchy texture of the young fruit bodies. They lend a nice element of texture to a dish that includes other more flavorful ingredients. And, they are easy to learn to recognize. The orange color with blotchy green stains is distinctive. Sometimes the orange latex is difficult to detect. Gently pressing a finger against the cut flesh/gills usually leaves a bit of the orange latex on the finger tip. The ones I find here in Pennsylvania are not bitter. 

4 hours ago, svs said:

Do they produce orange latex? It looks like they have greenish bruising. In combination with orange sap they are likely one of several good Lactarius such as L. Delicious

I would have avoided this mushroom convinced it would be toxic just by looking at it, and my very basic mushroom knowledge. I think you pinned down another species. It appears this gun range has produced yet another edible mushroom in a grouping. 

IMG_9707.JPG

IMG_2020-09-15_15-53-41.jpeg