Immature hedgehog?

brendan

Yeah, probably a young one. Also, length of spines varies according to species. There are several different Hydnum species that occur in NA.

The one seen here appears to resemble this  https://www.mycoquebec.org/bas.php?trie=H&l=l&nom=Hydnum mulsicolor / Hydne hydromel&tag=Hydnum mulsicolor&gro=53

Just now, Kevin Hoover said:

Brendan, 

What are you finding them under?  My H umbilicatum fruit heavily under hemlocks. Unfortunately they’re not up here yet that I can see. I picked them heavily in late September and October last year. 

Sadly, hemlocks are exceedingly rare in my neck of the woods, these were under oak and beech. I have kept a lookout for areas with a fair amount of hemlock but only ever find single, generally scraggly trees.

3 minutes ago, GCn15 said:

Hedgehogs have a wide tree association. Don't know if you have any poplar in your area but that is a sure bet.

Huh. Well one thing we do have in abundance is tulip poplar. I generally avoid it when not morel season because the poplar/maple/sycamore woods seem to be generally devoid of fungal activity compared to the oak/beech woods in this area. It's like desert vs. jungle in terms of diversity. And of course, in morel season, poplar woods in the area do CONTINUE to seem devoid of fungal activity. :) I am interested in hedgehogs though so I will do some more exploring see what I can find. 

33 minutes ago, brendan said:

Huh. Well one thing we do have in abundance is tulip poplar. I generally avoid it when not morel season because the poplar/maple/sycamore woods seem to be generally devoid of fungal activity compared to the oak/beech woods in this area. It's like desert vs. jungle in terms of diversity. And of course, in morel season, poplar woods in the area do CONTINUE to seem devoid of fungal activity. :) I am interested in hedgehogs though so I will do some more exploring see what I can find. 

There are many fall mushroom varieties that associate with poplar and maple. Where I am from I pick mixed forest conifers/poplar to great results. If you can find that kind of forest you will be pleasantly surprised. I do agree that poplar stands seem a lot more bare in the late spring/summer but if conditions are good they can be very productive late summer and fall. Michael Kuo has a great resource for looking up trees and mushrooms known to associate with them in his online site.

Perhaps it’s the type of poplar? In three years I’ve never had any luck in the fall in poplar/maple/sycamore stands with the occasional pine, That’s the most prevalent ecosystem in my area and I generally pass through it when heading to oak/beech woods. I am right on the i95 corridor between Baltimore and DC so in general the woods are not very healthy, could be related I suppose. This is the best year I’ve had, previously to have success I had to drive a few hours west to Appalachia, the pickings there are way better. Oh to live in a wilder area. 

1 hour ago, brendan said:

Perhaps it’s the type of poplar? In three years I’ve never had any luck in the fall in poplar/maple/sycamore stands with the occasional pine, That’s the most prevalent ecosystem in my area and I generally pass through it when heading to oak/beech woods. I am right on the i95 corridor between Baltimore and DC so in general the woods are not very healthy, could be related I suppose. This is the best year I’ve had, previously to have success I had to drive a few hours west to Appalachia, the pickings there are way better. Oh to live in a wilder area. 

Could just be the vastly different ecosystems we live in I suppose. I come from Northern Canada boreal forest where the overwhelming majority of hardwoods are poplar and birch. In the boreal forest, mixed forest is the absolute best and I don't pick in the pines for hydnum, mostly mixed forest spruce/poplar.

I see, yeah birch is unusual here and spruce is only in yards. Always keep my eye out for Norway spruce heh. Sounds beautiful up there, i spent some time in banff and jasper and loved it but I would imagine that’s  actually really far from where you are.

20 hours ago, brendan said:

I see, yeah birch is unusual here and spruce is only in yards. Always keep my eye out for Norway spruce heh. Sounds beautiful up there, i spent some time in banff and jasper and loved it but I would imagine that’s  actually really far from where you are.

Banff and Jasper are a few hundred miles Southwest, but our forest systems are similar. Boreal forest across the Canadian Shield.