Today’s haul!

Foulhook

A good walk in the woods today! Have never tried consuming coral mushrooms before or puffballs. Anyone have opinions?

i was surprised to still find some massive chanterelles. Milkies are also abundant again. Corals were everywhere! 

D56B6D98-9AFF-4D7D-AB8A-39FFA3A9288C.jpeg

201153A4-9AF3-4157-A60B-B999C5782D3B.jpeg

Well after some more looking around it appears these corals are R. formosa and not considered an edible. Bummer! 

Lots of coral here too, all from the past two weeks. I have tried crown tipped coral (first pic), taste reminded me of szechuan peppercorn, sour/hot. I found it a bit unpleasant, though perhaps that was just due to not really expecting it, I do actually really LIKE szechuan peppercorns so maybe in the future I just need to think of it more like a seasoning or something.  Or maybe the one I tried was just unusually strong, the descriptions I have read all say "mild aftertaste of pepper." 

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

0AD96FAD-D952-43DE-A0EB-50B4002B434B.jpeg

Foulhook, did you ID the coral? I don't think it's Artomyces pyxidatus (Crown Tipped), and it doesn't look like Ramaria. Maybe Clavulina?   http://www.mushroomexpert.com/clavulina_cristata.html#cinerea

What are those two types of Milkies in the basket. One type looks like Lacarius gerardii. I'm guesing the darker capped ones are L. corrugis. But, I don't recognize the two near the top of the photo... with gill-side showing. 

Brendan, that last photo of yours is a Ramaria, likely R. stricta, R. concolor, or R. formosa. These types are not recommended as edibles; probably bitter and reportedly causing a laxative effect. 

2 hours ago, Dave W said:

Foulhook, did you ID the coral? I don't think it's Artomyces pyxidatus (Crown Tipped), and it doesn't look like Ramaria. Maybe Clavulina?   http://www.mushroomexpert.com/clavulina_cristata.html#cinerea

What are those two types of Milkies in the basket. One type looks like Lacarius gerardii. I'm guesing the darker capped ones are L. corrugis. But, I don't recognize the two near the top of the photo... with gill-side showing. 

Brendan, that last photo of yours is a Ramaria, likely R. stricta, R. concolor, or R. formosa. These types are not recommended as edibles; probably bitter and reportedly causing a laxative effect. 

Oh for sure, I was just posting all the corals I found recently, I only was referring to the first pic as an edibible.