Laiteporous?

Bayoufrogg

I've always looked for laiteporous but never seen it.  Found this shelf-like mushroom growing on a couple feet up in an oak tree in New Orleans.   Looks like someone beat me to the first flush.  You can see in first photo someone took a knife to lower half.   

It had just rained lightly and this mushroom appeared white on top and cream on the bottom.   

When I got home. the top had turned orange but pores still cream colored.  

From what I've read: 

Sulphureas has yellow pores and grows on side of trees while Cinncinatus has white pores and grows at base of tree (typically in rose pattern). 

What do I have here with cream colored pores and a few feet up a tree?  

20200831_122105.jpg

20200831_122058.jpg

20200831_122526.jpg

20200831_153357.jpg

20200831_183916.jpg

20200831_183845.jpg

20200831_183903.jpg

I agree this looks like a species of Laetiporus. But, I don't recognize the species. And, I can't say with total confidence this is Laetiporus. No confident alternate proposal, though. Inonotus quercustris is reported as darker colored than these and with interior flesh streaked or with color zones. There are other species of Inonotus that may be considered. These look like Laetiporus to me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bayoufrogg: I just came across your post looking at older submissions. I think I may have found something similar, if not the same. I posted it here: Likely Laetiporus, unlikely characteristics?

My questions about my specimen are the same as yours. If these are a new species or two new species, since we are distant from each other, I wonder how long they will remain unnamed? My sample looks even whiter on the pore surface than yours, so may be a different species. I saved the sample (air dried) and it hasn't changed in over 6 weeks, except the pores are more evident.

When you first saw them were the brackets thick and soft? Did they have a smell? I thought my specimen smelled almost like licorice or anise.

Interesting finds, whatever the species.

• 2 weeks later...