Home grown oysters

Jared

After finally making my own fruiting chamber, I can say that it works! These are blue oysters, I bought the kit online. I grew golden oysters before these without the fruiting chamber, and they didn’t grow nearly this big. These oysters are easily two to three times the size of the golden ones, I’ve included pics of both. Definitely worth the 20 bucks it cost to make it. I’m also currently growing shiitakes out of it and those are growing very well. The first pic is obviously not accurate weight on the scale, with the plate subtracted, the first harvest was roughly 12 oz of yield.

6DBF773B-84BE-4598-B7A8-1FB80A632A2C.jpeg

4D9B8AA7-721A-465B-9C22-2FAF141378C4.jpeg

4422F1FF-6730-4EEB-A4E9-6A3EEE7E4F3E.jpeg

FDCC2B20-4505-4B25-85B0-43F88DB543E6.jpeg

7EF9F1C1-5951-409C-B71A-D04C2F22FE96.jpeg

CDAE8C48-8FD1-438C-9E28-44AC5BBAAF34.jpeg

6E8A8F94-F79B-4481-983D-9D4B798B2CF0.jpeg

Tell us about the fruiting chamber. Size. Cost. Humidity control. CO2 addition. Lighting>. Anything.

Your success might inspire me to grow some mushrooms during our long winter where nothing is growing outdoors.

All I did was make a shotgun fruiting chamber, you can find numerous tutorials on how to do that, for humidity control I just spray down the sides of the chamber and the perlite at the bottom a few times per day to keep it constantly moist. The constant evaporation of the water keeps a good humid environment on the inside. I believe my particular container is around 16-20 gallons. Super simple and it cost me only 20 bucks, yet it easily tripled my usual harvest. Highly recommend building one!