Chanterelles...growing in clusters... on pine?

Found these this morning. First I saw the cluster on the ground and thought “oh nice!” Then I saw they were growing on several logs (pine no less) and the base of a tree as well. Weird! I’m sure there must just be enough dirt/moss on the wood surface to support them, but how funny, chants behaving as jack lookalikes instead of the other way around. The sun was pretty low in the sky, sorry for the glare in some of the pics I couldn’t get rid of it.

B5190311-5992-4A10-A165-D3E91A908AC0.jpeg

39F1F056-978D-4515-9306-13FB82A263D9.jpeg

359E2983-E8BB-4BD8-9031-74A0577AFF5F.jpeg

E586A581-FA70-48F4-A10F-81976BF2CE4C.jpeg

FFC16896-5DCA-4CF3-A8AB-B64469E2B5ED.jpeg

E782B0DE-0F96-4D54-B3AD-323A5B3FDE14.jpeg

5 hours ago, CamilleR said:

Yes very nice! I found my biggest haul of those this year. Over a pound of them before dried.

Do you generally dry chanterelles, or just the thinner varieties? I was going to try drying some this year but had always heard they didn't rehydrate too well. 

Many sources say that the larger Chanterelles (cibarius types) don't dry well, but I like the resulting slightly chewy texture.  However, Winter Chanterelles dry and reconstitute very well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 5:54 PM, brendan said:

Do you generally dry chanterelles, or just the thinner varieties? I was going to try drying some this year but had always heard they didn't rehydrate too well. 

I just dry the yellowfoot ones.